do shrimp eat snails?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

amanda_h
Shrimp
Shrimp

do shrimp eat snails?

Post by amanda_h »

I know this sounds like a weird question, but I've got shrimp, MTS and ramshorn snails together in a tank. Every once in awhile I'll see a shrimp picking at a snail, and the snail is alive and trying to get away. And I also keep seeing empty little ramshorn shells. They are small snails. Could the shrimp be eating them?

The shrimp in question are cherries, greens, and an unknown species about the same size.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Shrimp do eat snails, however I am still not sure if the snails are alive when they are eating them or if they are just dead or dying.

I would say that the shrimp don't really kill them, but they find dead or dying snails and start picking at them.

Mustafa
amanda_h
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by amanda_h »

Cool. I guess they're helping to keep my snail population under control. :wink:
scrimp

Post by scrimp »

I knew it I see my amanos always picking up snails and eatting them and I know they are alive. That would explain Why I have so many dead snails.
filishy
Larva
Larva

Post by filishy »

Man...

I wish mine would do the same... :(

My snail population is only controlled by me and my mighty fingernail.

M.
amanda_h
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by amanda_h »

LOL! :lol:
filishy
Larva
Larva

Post by filishy »

But... Miss Amanda... :shock:

Aren't you supposed to be at work, uh? ;-)

Kidding..!!!! :-D
amanda_h
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by amanda_h »

:smt016

I'm working! I'm working!

Really!!
filishy
Larva
Larva

Post by filishy »

:lol:
amber2461
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by amber2461 »

:smt018
Acsuth
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Acsuth »

And I also keep seeing empty little ramshorn shells. They are small snails. Could the shrimp be eating them?

I've been thinking about this one...I'd say if you have enough shrimp in the tank they may actually be causing the deaths of the ramshorns -- just from their incessant "picking" at everything lol. Planorbids(common ramshorns) and physids('pond snails') lack operculums(trap doors) -- making them easy prey for loaches. Because they have no operculum to shield them from all the picking/cleaning of your adult shrimp -- this may result in some deaths...then of course the shrimp will clean up the shells after death.
You shouldn't be losing MTS though...clown loaches and turtles even have a hard time eating them...their super thick shells and operculums shield them from almost everything...many species of MTS will thrive in brackish water...and even survive heavy metals and months of hardly any food. I doubt even a worldwide nuclear holocaust would eradicate them...yep...we're pretty much stuck with MTS....and roaches of course :roll: :P
amanda_h
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by amanda_h »

I was thinking the same thing... the only empty shells I've seen have been ramshorn, so it makes sense that the MTS are able to protect themselves with their trapdoors.

Which is fine by me. Cute as the ramshorns are, they're all over the place. At least the MTS pretty much keep out of sight during the day. :wink:
scrimp

Post by scrimp »

I hate snails! I cant wait to start my next snail free tank.
amber2461
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by amber2461 »

amanda_h wrote:I was thinking the same thing... the only empty shells I've seen have been ramshorn, so it makes sense that the MTS are able to protect themselves with their trapdoors.

Which is fine by me. Cute as the ramshorns are, they're all over the place. At least the MTS pretty much keep out of sight during the day. :wink:
Thanks for the MTS Amanda .... have them in the snail tank right now, with the other ramshorns ...