Cherax sp. Zebra spawned

This forum is read-only.

Moderator: Mustafa

Cableguy
Larva
Larva

Post by Cableguy »

Saw your auction, led me here, would love to see some pictures of the babies now and how they've grown
pturley
Larva
Larva

Post by pturley »

edit
Last edited by pturley on Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
pturley
Larva
Larva

UPDATE: @ 5 weeks

Post by pturley »

edit
FISH WORLD ERIE
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by FISH WORLD ERIE »

Those cherax can take over a fish room in little time. Sometimes it is good to keep them (the parents seperated) that way they won't breed like rabbits. Good luck with the rest of your babies.

Jason
pturley
Larva
Larva

Discouraging night last night!

Post by pturley »

edit
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

That looks great Paul! That's a very good idea. Aside from keeping them in very large aquaria or even ponds this or similar setups are really the only way to bring up the young of aggressive species without them killing each other. Keep up the good work and keep the updates coming! They are really attractive crayfish and I am sure they will spread in the hobby once more people breed them. I wish I had the space to keep and breed some myself, but I'll have to be patient until I have more space.

Do you think you could put pictures of the parents in your gallery? It would give people an idea about what the young will look like when they are adults.
CanadianCray
<b>BANNED</b>

Post by CanadianCray »

Check out this website for great ideas how to breed & raise a lot of crays in a small space.

http://www.blueyabby.com/
pturley
Larva
Larva

Post by pturley »

edit
Last edited by pturley on Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
YuccaPatrol
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by YuccaPatrol »

Looks like some of us are all trying to do the same thing.

Right now, I am separating any berried Cambarellus diminutus into plastic floating guppy breeder tanks. Last night I was cutting perforated plastic sheets used for tank dividers to make dividers for the breeders.
ToddnBecka
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by ToddnBecka »

Won't the crayfish simply climb over the top of the plastic breeder boxes? I have one of the floating type, and several hang-on as well from used tank deals. The hang-on type have covers, the floater doesn't.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

If the containers are higher than the crayfish are long then they cannot climb out. Crayfish cannot hang on to smooth surfaces.
YuccaPatrol
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by YuccaPatrol »

Yes, the guppy breeder boxes might not work with larger species unless the lids are used. I don't use the lids for the Cambarellus diminutus because they sit too low in the water and I am concerned they might sink. So far, none have been observed climbing the walls any furher than an inch or so where there are slits to allow for water flow.

I may put some styrofoam in the floaters as I am not completely comfortable with just having an air pocket to keep them afloat.
Cableguy
Larva
Larva

Post by Cableguy »

YuccaPatrol wrote:I am not completely comfortable with just having an air pocket to keep them afloat.
works for boats
CanadianCray
<b>BANNED</b>

Post by CanadianCray »

The original design that the company used was much easier to do in house. In stead of those plastic moulded units they used plastic bottles like the ones used by Gatorade with the large openings. They then drilled holes in the side of the bottle. Mounted the caps to plastic or wood strips so they could attach the bottles all along the strips.

Last edited by CanadianCray on Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

:shock: Wow, thanks for the picture, that says it all!