Equipment....

This forum is read-only.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

FISH WORLD ERIE wrote:It might just be the mega pixels. Mine has 3.3. How about you Mustafa what camera do you use for taking pictures of your shrimp and small crays.
Hi Jason,

I used to take pictures with a very similar camera to yours (Sony Cypershot DSC-P7 with 3.3 megapixels). Those little cameras have lousy macro abilities, so I used to hold a magnifying lens, that I had salvaged from my binoculars, in front of the camera lens for macro shots. Worked reasonably well, but not well enough. So, earlier this year I decided to buy a digital SLR camera (Canon "digital rebel XT", also called Canon EOS 350D) with a dedicated 105mm macro lens. It takes some getting used to as it's totally different from "normal" digital cameras, but you can't beat a digital SLR when it comes to picture quality and versatility. The downside is the high price. It's worth every penny though if you are taking tons of pictures.

Then there are "normal" digital cameras out there that have pretty good macro capabilities...some of the forum members have them and seem to be able to take pretty decent pictures. They might want to chime in.... Also, do a search on the forum as many members stated before what equipment they are using.
YuccaPatrol
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by YuccaPatrol »

A photography thread or forum might be nice here. We are considering our options for a new digital camera and I am leaning toward the same or a similar Canon model as Mustafa's.

Right now I am using an older Minolta Dimage F100. It has a decent macro mode and enough manual features (exposure, focus, etc) that I can capture acceptable images, but I want more. Although I do get some good shots, I have to take a LOT of photos, especially since the depth of field is so small. If I could increase the depth of field and increase my shutter speed a bit, it would make a world of difference. It is so hard to convince a shrimp or cray to sit still for the 1/4 second I need to get a good shot.

edit: I absolutely MUST use a tripod in order to get good shots. You don't need anything very fancy. I believe mine cost about $25-30 about 10 years ago and has all the adjustments that I could need for a small camera. I've noticed that not all compact digital cameras have the threaded base necessary for tripod use, so that is a consideration when purchasing a camera.
The Fisherman
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by The Fisherman »

I've heard very good things about the Canon Digital Rebel XT as well. A guy I know who takes amazing photos, uses that camera with the kit 18-55mm lens, with a STE-2 wireless flash remote that triggers a speedlite 580EX sitting on the tank.

So I can credit the guy for this info, his name is Damien Wagaman. He has a few pufferfish articles in TFH magazine.

If I get that job soon I can get a camera that can actually take pictures :lol:

-John
BlauerDrakken
Egg
Egg

Post by BlauerDrakken »

Does anyone have good solid advice for someone like me, who has not yet entered the digital age? I have two 35mm Film SLR cameras, A Canon and a Minolta Maxxum 7000. Any tips or tricks for getting good quality pics from that camera? I've tried touching the lens to the glass, and I never seem to get a good focus, and everytime I shoot from further back I get a great picture of the glass on the front of my tank (and/or my reflection).
YuccaPatrol
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by YuccaPatrol »

I used to have one of those old Maxxum 7000's. I had a nice 28mm-80mm zoom lens. It had a macro setting and I used to get good macro shots with it. Focus manually.

Darken the room completely except for the light in the tank to prevent any reflections.

Do not use a flash through the front glass of the tank, and if you do, you must shoot at an angle that also does not allow flash to come back off the back or side glass to produce glare.

Use a tripod.

Be very patient and willing to spend a long time and a lot of $$$ on film to get just the right shot.

Clean both the inside and outside glass very very very well.

Those are some tips that work for me.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Then there are "normal" digital cameras out there that have pretty good macro capabilities...some of the forum members have them and seem to be able to take pretty decent pictures. They might want to chime in....
Thanks for sharing guys, please keep the info coming in. I just got a Casio Exilim and have been experimenting with its macro feature. I will post up some recent pictures soon :D .
RCSGuy
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by RCSGuy »

Neonshrimp wrote:
Then there are "normal" digital cameras out there that have pretty good macro capabilities...some of the forum members have them and seem to be able to take pretty decent pictures. They might want to chime in....
Thanks for sharing guys, please keep the info coming in. I just got a Casio Exilim and have been experimenting with its macro feature. I will post up some recent pictures soon :D .
They are nice pictures Neon keep them coming :) I love the macro modes on my camera :) It is so entertaining and somehow a macro shot of just about anything makes it a beautiful work of art :)

P.S. Is this strictly a shrimp photography forum or can we post other pictures we take (I have a few macro shots I'd like to share).
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

I think if it is related to the subjects of this forum and/or is used to demonstrate a feature or point you have reguarding camera/photography then it should be alright.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Yes, Neon is right. This is not a place to post pretty pictures, even about shrimp. It is to discuss equipment and how to do stuff. If the pic demonstrates how to do something, or theperformance of one camera vs. another, just about anypic would be OK, but this isn't a gallery.
RCSGuy
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by RCSGuy »

badflash wrote:Yes, Neon is right. This is not a place to post pretty pictures, even about shrimp. It is to discuss equipment and how to do stuff. If the pic demonstrates how to do something, or theperformance of one camera vs. another, just about anypic would be OK, but this isn't a gallery.
I see your point, I am glad I asked first. Thank you.