[Idea]Shrimp-room-how to build?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Matteino^82
<b>BANNED</b>

[Idea]Shrimp-room-how to build?

Post by Matteino^82 »

Hi to all...i have an idea (for when i have my own house:))..
I was thinking about a system where to breed 4 species of shrimp; i'm thinking to put it in a house so it would be nice to look...

My idea is:two tank made in this way:Each tank is 100 cm long, 35 cm deep and 35 cm high. I divide the tank in twolittle tank so i have tqo tanks of 60 liter approx.

So i can breed for example 2 species in one 100 cm tank and 2 species in the other 100 cm (in one alcanile water-lover) and in the other acidic water lower...

What do you think about this idea?Does anybody made a similar thing??
In my mind, each little tank is different (gravel, plants ecc, so i have 4 completely different tanks)..

What about the filtration?I don't like to use sponge filters, so i can use one filter per each 60 liter tank or maybe 4 internal filters...

If you have any suggestion...:)
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Hi Matteino, I too have made plans for the aquarium room I will one day have. I was thinking about having shelves, either steel or nice looking wood. I will also have the room temperature controlled with A/C and Heater, customized just for this room. I think I will use sponge filters for some of the tanks and canister filters for others. It will not be easy to build but I think it will be worth it :D Best wishes on your and please let me know how it goes!
The Fisherman
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by The Fisherman »

Hmmm, i'd like to do this one day too....

I actually wrote up plans for a massive aquarium shaped like a cylinder, that goes through the center of the house, through each floor. It'd be cool to have a spiral staircase going up it too.

Hehe, I can dream can't I :P

-John (AKA: The Puffer Ninja)
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Just make sure you leave top room on the tank to do work. I have a shelf that makes working the tank a big pain.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Thanks for the tip badflash, I will be sure to leave enough elbow room to work with!
zapisto
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by zapisto »

well,
i am myself at my second fishroom build.
it is not exactly what you want to do, but my next one will have some modification due to experience and learn from the first two.
  • think well , and think ofr all before start doing anything
    have a complete plan ready, dont let any detail apart, minor details can become a real pain
  • think about the water change, most of the time we forgot this thing and it is to late after
  • think about working in your tank (check badflash comments)
  • think about visibility and comfort (specially in your case) dont be cheap to fill a hole, bottom tank are not a good thing for visibility even if you loos space think of it before put them too low.
  • hide the ligth is a best for show tank so you only see what is important the tank :)
i am coming migrate from dwarf cichlid room to shrimp , and some things have to change to accommadate this litlle criters , like hole to avoid them to escape, filtration, etc....
i am moving some tank to drop sytem with permanet water change , i know it work for some fish but dont know if it work for shrimp, i guess i will have to test to know.
i think about wetand dry filtration also on these system will see how the shrimp will react

only a few i took from my own list
hope that will help a bit
Matteino^82
<b>BANNED</b>

Post by Matteino^82 »

zapisto...i don't understand a thing when you say "think about visibility and comfort (specially in your case) dont be cheap to fill a hole, bottom tank are not a good thing for visibility even if you loos space think of it before put them too low. "

can you explain to me please?;)
Matteino^82
<b>BANNED</b>

Post by Matteino^82 »

update....maybe i will use tank downsized...
can you tell me a typical size of each mini-tank?30-40 liters is ok?wich dimensions?
bye
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Matteino^82 wrote:zapisto...i don't understand a thing when you say "think about visibility and comfort (specially in your case) dont be cheap to fill a hole, bottom tank are not a good thing for visibility even if you loos space think of it before put them too low. "

can you explain to me please?;)
If you put a tank low down you need to sit on the floor or your belly to see it, clean it, etc. You also must use something like a python to do water changes. I have 5 tanks at floor level and if I had some place for them, they would not be there.
Matteino^82
<b>BANNED</b>

Post by Matteino^82 »

ahhh now i understand...but i didn't thought to put the tanks on the floor...
Anyway, what do you think about the sizes of each tank??
Maybe i will start with something smaller but confortable for shrimps...do you think 25-30 liter is enough for each species?(or it is too much low..)..

bye!
zapisto
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by zapisto »

Badflash explain what i try to explain in my poor english :(
Matteino^82 wrote:ahhh now i understand...but i didn't thought to put the tanks on the floor...
Anyway, what do you think about the sizes of each tank??
Maybe i will start with something smaller but confortable for shrimps...do you think 25-30 liter is enough for each species?(or it is too much low..)..

bye!
well this is up to each person because to much things have to be consider :
- budget
- place
- etc...

in a fishroom you want put as much tank as possible.
but you have to think about it , what will fit your need.
25/30 g is a reasonnable size for me in my fish room.
but in my living room , my wife put a rule so i can have only 1 tank , let me tel you you i put the biggest i can :) (90g)
Matteino^82
<b>BANNED</b>

Post by Matteino^82 »

maybe i wrote a wrong title....when i say "fish room" i was thinkig to a small "battery" of tanks where to keep in example 4 species, to keep in a room where i stay or my bedroom..
So, i think that 30 liters is enough for that objective..no?i think that is a nice volume for the shrimps to live and reproduce..

For example i was thinkig about a long tank (i.e. 150 cmx30x35) divided in 4 small tanks...is it right as decision?

I also know that bigger is better, but the space is that...:)I think that many tanks with different species are more "interesting" that one big tank with only one species..(we know that mixing different species is not a good idea because of possible ibridation, different water parameteres of shrimps or the problem of extintion of one of the two species in long time)..

bye!
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

but in my living room , my wife put a rule so i can have only 1 tank , let me tel you you i put the biggest i can :) (90g)
Good thinking :-D ! I would make the tank half the size of the room :lol:
Lotus
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Lotus »

Tanks on the floor have several problems. Of course, it's hard to see what's going on in there, so you don't generally pay as much attention to them.

As someone said, you also have the problem of gravity when it comes to water changes.

Also, if the floor is tile, linoleum or unfinished, you may have temperature control issues.

On the other hand, if the tanks are too high up, it's also hard to clean them and hard to do maintenance.

Definitely make sure there's enough room to light the tanks and work on them between levels.
Matteino^82
<b>BANNED</b>

Post by Matteino^82 »

but..who said that i want to put the tanks in the floor or higer? :?
Anyway....i think i will use something like 25 liter per species, so i can have many of them...

what do you think?
bye

p.s. Maybe in the future i will enlarge all the thing, this is for start...
ciao!