Wood Shrimp

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

scrimp

Wood Shrimp

Post by scrimp »

My LFS has these today I found only 4 bucks each. Im tempted to buy some but I wonder how many gallons should be afforded one shrimp. They dont seem to move much and I would love to get them but is a 10 gallon enough for 3 shrimp? these things are HUGE! They kinda scare me since they look like underwater tarantulas.
amanda_h
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: Wood Shrimp

Post by amanda_h »

scrimp wrote:...they look like underwater tarantulas.
Which is exactly why I will never buy one of these. :smt104
amber2461
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Re: Wood Shrimp

Post by amber2461 »

amanda_h wrote:
scrimp wrote:...they look like underwater tarantulas.
Which is exactly why I will never buy one of these. :smt104
:smt043 which is why I have 1 wood shrimp and 2 vampire shrimps ... :D
scrimp

Post by scrimp »

Whats the difference of a vampire shrimp and a wood shrimp??? I was under the impression they were one and the same.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

scrimp wrote:Whats the difference of a vampire shrimp and a wood shrimp??? I was under the impression they were one and the same.
Have you even *looked* at the "Shrimp Varieties" page on this website? :shock:

The difference is quite obvious.
amber2461
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by amber2461 »

My favourite is still the Vampire shrimp .... :-D

Followed by the Cherry shrimps ... man, how they have grown .... really nice.
scrimp

Post by scrimp »

Ive seen them both recently as of yesturday I saw a tank full of the giant african and the bamboo. I can see It not though they do kinda look the same the colors is different. The giant ones were the ones I saw for 4 bucks.
amber2461
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by amber2461 »

:smt012 4 bucks only? :twisted:
scrimp

Post by scrimp »

Yeah crazy huh, I should but the whole lot but they look creepy!
amber2461
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by amber2461 »

I would have bought the whole shipment ... hehehahahahaha :smt101
scrimp

Post by scrimp »

Yeah I should, then I could sell them on aqua bid but I think thats a time consuming process I wonder if its able to truely be a business for some people. I just sometimes dont under stand why people sellt higns though is it out of need for money the spreading of the hobby or what. I mean of course we all want to make a buck I just dont know why some people price things so high.
Acsuth
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Acsuth »

scrimp wrote: I mean of course we all want to make a buck I just dont know why some people price things so high.
greed? :-D
amber2461
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by amber2461 »

Maybe not, you have to take into consideration the time taken to climatise those shrimps in your tank, food being fed to them, housing and stuff like that ... and then when you ship them to the buyers, you spend time making sure that the bags, heating packs (during the cold months), styrofoam are intact and will survive the trip.

You then consider the price of gas when you drive to the post office, parking tickets (if any) yada yada yada ... all those taken in, sometimes you would think why is it that some sellers charge a little more and some charge a LOT more ... hehehehehe.. maybe some sellers drive expensive cars :smt016

Just my two cents.
scrimp

Post by scrimp »

amber2461 wrote:Maybe not, you have to take into consideration the time taken to climatise those shrimps in your tank, food being fed to them, housing and stuff like that ... and then when you ship them to the buyers, you spend time making sure that the bags, heating packs (during the cold months), styrofoam are intact and will survive the trip.

You then consider the price of gas when you drive to the post office, parking tickets (if any) yada yada yada ... all those taken in, sometimes you would think why is it that some sellers charge a little more and some charge a LOT more ... hehehehehe.. maybe some sellers drive expensive cars :smt016

Just my two cents.
Yeah I guess for those that keep these shrimp long term but for those of us who have these animals as a hobby I think the offspring etc shouldnt be that hard once I get baby shrimp im gonna just give them away ro sell them to the LFS for like a buck each. Im sure each have their own reasons as to why they charge what they charge and hopefully people like me will always be there to bring down cost hahahahaha. Then again if I sold my animals I wouldnt guarentee them and stuff like that that way I could keep cost low.