Temperature in your cray's tank

This forum is read-only.

Moderator: Mustafa

milalic
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Temperature in your cray's tank

Post by milalic »

What temperature do you keep your crayfish tank(s)?

-Pedro
YuccaPatrol
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by YuccaPatrol »

76', the same as the stream water they came out of.

As I return to the collection sites over time and gain some more data, I may be altering the temp and light cycles to simulate seasonal variation. I have yet to determine if C. diminutus is a year-round breeder or if it breeds in cycles like some other Cambarellus species.

For what it is worth, C. shufeldtii is a year round breeder, so adjusting the temp/light would not be necessary.

I may come to find that even if C. diminutus is a cyclical breeder, that it may switch to year-round in captivity with an abundance of food and constant water/temp/light conditions.
ToddnBecka
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by ToddnBecka »

I would think that temp would be a critical factor in breeding. In nature, warmer water means more food available for all sizes of crayfish, as well as an increased metabolic activity level.
I have a pair of Tanganykian spiney eels that have spawned months later than the end of their recorded spawning season in the lake. The female seems to spawn whenever she has fed enough to produce eggs, much like cichlids.
The Fisherman
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by The Fisherman »

Wow Yucca, thats a pretty warm stream. The temp in the river I live near varys a lot, I don't know specifics, but I have kept a Crayfish in room temperature water before, which was about the tem of the river water at the time. I think the species I was keeping was a coldwater cray.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

YuccaPatrol wrote: I may come to find that even if C. diminutus is a cyclical breeder, that it may switch to year-round in captivity with an abundance of food and constant water/temp/light conditions.
You probably will. Many animal species that are dubbed "cyclical breeders" do so because there is only a narrow window near-perfect conditions during the year during which they can find enough food and the temperatures are warm enough for them to breed. True, in some species this becomes genetically hardwired so that they won't breed all year round and actually need a cold phase (for example) to be able to breed again. One "famous" example (at least in european educational institutions) is the three-spined stickleback (Gasterosteus aculeatus ). This fish won't spawn at all if it does not experience colder water temperatures during the winter.

But with animals from warmer parts of the world, and the southern US can easily qualify as a warmer region, most animals just seem to breed whenever conditions are right. Our american glass shrimp, Palaemonetes paludosus, only breeds during part of the year in most of its range, but breeds all-year round in southern florida and in home aquaria. So...I bet C. diminutus could be bred all year round when the right conditions are given.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

In captivity we are able to manipulate and control their environment. Does this mean we can stimulate breeding by recreating the cycle/conditions of the wild environment? Has anyone out there been doing this, if so please share you results.

Thanks.
milalic
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by milalic »

Can we try to not deviate too much from topic.

Thanks
Terran
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Terran »

milalic wrote:Can we try to not deviate too much from topic.

Thanks
I didnt think anyone really deviated far from topic since what they were talking about was still temperature related...

I keep Cambarellus shufeldtii between 75-80 and they breed like crazy...I started with 5 young ones in the summer...and since then Ive filled two 10 gallon tanks... a 20 gallon tank and a 29 gallon tank...

In contrast I started with 12 Red Cherry Shrimps before I even got the Cajuns...and now I only have 20 or so...Though ever since I began using oak leaves it seems every single female I have now is berried....

Is there a reason your asking what temp. people keep their crays at? Because it should correlate with what species their keeping
milalic
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by milalic »

Just for infromation...and to see what has worked for people.
Terran
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Terran »

milalic wrote:Just for infromation...and to see what has worked for people.
What kind of crays do you keep?
milalic
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by milalic »

Terran wrote:
What kind of crays do you keep?

Cambarellus patzuarensis, shufeldtii, puer and montezumae.

-Pedro
milalic
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by milalic »

anyone else?
Cableguy
Larva
Larva

Post by Cableguy »

I don't heat my cray's tanks, since they're all wild caught around the midwest i figure that living in a room temp tank would be like a vacation in aruba for them during the winter
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Low 70s to low 80s for the C. shufeldtii. For the C. patzcuarensis I would keep it in the low to mid 70s as they come from the highlands. 75 is probably perfect.