breeding Hawaiian reds

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

lampeye
Shrimp
Shrimp

breeding Hawaiian reds

Post by lampeye »

I've searched the forums and I see words like "easiest" and most adaptable." But from the threads on this site, Halacaridina seems rather hit-or-miss. Am I just getting the wrong idea because the difficulties are getting more forum time than the successes? Chime in, Opae keepers...
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

I just got my 1st verified post-larvals today!
I'd been keeping them in 1/2 strength seawater. The adults all live under my undergravel filter, so I rarely see them. Last week I boosted up the concentration to full seawater to get ready for another run at the amanos and added some green seawater (Tet). Today there was a tiny little bright red shrimp! Hoo Hah!

Every once in a while a few will come out. Last month I saw a berried female. This must be the result! Never saw the zoes.
Cableguy
Larva
Larva

Post by Cableguy »

Do they need the darkness to reproduce like the caves in their natural habitats?
frugalfish
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by frugalfish »

lampeye wrote:I've searched the forums and I see words like "easiest" and most adaptable." But from the threads on this site, Halacaridina seems rather hit-or-miss. Am I just getting the wrong idea because the difficulties are getting more forum time than the successes? Chime in, Opae keepers...
Hmm...no I do not think these are a hit or miss shrimp to keep or breed. Habitat is easy to create, mature specimens are necessary for breeding, and patience from the keeper helps. If you haven't already, read my thread and it's all there as to my experience, (both success and failure), with this species.
badflash wrote:I just got my 1st verified post-larvals today!
Congrats! :D
Cableguy wrote:Do they need the darkness to reproduce like the caves in their natural habitats?

I don't believe so, as I think Mustafa has his in a tank with only gravel and a box filter and his breed just fine. I have lava rock in my tank, because I like to try and create an environment that is a little similiar to the wild, but don't think it's necessary.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

frugalfish wrote:
Cableguy wrote:Do they need the darkness to reproduce like the caves in their natural habitats?

I don't believe so, as I think Mustafa has his in a tank with only gravel and a box filter and his breed just fine. I have lava rock in my tank, because I like to try and create an environment that is a little similiar to the wild, but don't think it's necessary.
Yes, I have one setup with just gravel and a box filter and another one (newer one) with gravel and a sponge filter. They breed in both setups. And yes, it takes the young a few months to reach maturity.
dhavoc
Egg
Egg

Post by dhavoc »

just be patient with them. as others have said they are extremely slow breeders. they dont require much maintenace as long as the tank was agreeable to them when first put in there and you dont let the salinity vary too much due to evaporation. very easy to keep versus say CRS or bees (I have to check and maintain that tank almost daily).
wingnut247
Egg
Egg

ruby doobie dew

Post by wingnut247 »

Anyone have pictures of their Rubra set up?

I am interested in breeding the little guys... and keeping some with my Dwarf Sea Horses.

I'm going to go searching fro a thread.

My experience...
I have hatched and grown out brine shrimp.
I have a skunk cleaner.
I have peperments.
I have breed ghost shrimp.
I have had steak and shrimp :)
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Re: ruby doobie dew

Post by Neonshrimp »

Anyone have pictures of their Rubra set up?
If you do a search on this forum you will find plenty of pictures.
I am interested in breeding the little guys... and keeping some with my Dwarf Sea Horses.
These shrimp are actually sold as food for Sea Horses! How small are Dwarf Sea Horses?
wingnut247
Egg
Egg

Sorry

Post by wingnut247 »

To: All
Subj: Sorry + C-Horses

Hey everybody, sorry that I did not do a search before I made that last post. I broke rule #4. I am even more sorry that I did not read the rules before I posted. I will try not to let it happen again. I got too excited that this place even existed (isn't the internet great?)... didn't realize how big and established the forum was. I am such a noob.

The dwarf sea horses are about an inch long. I have heard that the little Hawaiian Reds are great tank mates cause the adults are too big for the Dwarves to eat.... and the Dwarves are too big for the shrimp to eat. I have a little information on the dwarves but I don't want to break rule #2 ...so PM me if you want. But know up front that dwarves need live food daily. This usually means hatching brine every other day. But I do that anyway to feed my young Reidi (Sea Horse) Fry.