Cooking/Drying Java Moss

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

blinster
Larva
Larva

Cooking/Drying Java Moss

Post by blinster »

Hey guys,

I'm thinking about cooking and/or drying some java moss, then see if my shrimps will eat them. I read that people have tried dandelion and various types of greens, and how a lot of people complain they have to constantly rip out chunks of overgrown java moss. Think it would be a great idea to get rid of extra java moss(besides selling them) and feed shrimps at the same time. Any one have done this before or suggestions?
YuccaPatrol
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by YuccaPatrol »

Sounds like a good experiment worth trying!
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

:? I would think that they would eat it wether it was live, cooked or dried. Hope you surprise me by proving me wrong but I don't think it will work. Please let us know how it turns out :wink:
blinster
Larva
Larva

Post by blinster »

Hm....do u mean since they don't eat java moss when its alive, the shrimps won't eat java moss when it is cooked? My impression is that shrimps dont eat the moss, but the algae on it. Also, I thought in previous threads shrimps don't eat raw dandelion because its too tough so you have to cook it...so maybe similarly the java moss needs to be cooked first?
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

It depends on how much fiber is in it. My shrimp love cooked greens, so give it a shot.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Hi blinster,

Have you been able to try it out? Please update us.
carbon etc
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by carbon etc »

My amanos have stripped the little fronds off my (living) moss... it keeps trying to grow back to no avail.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Is this Java Moss or another kind of moss? My amanos like to eat living plants also :?
blinster
Larva
Larva

Post by blinster »

Hi,

My java moss has been going through an algae epidemic so I havn't had time to try out my experiment yet ( trying to save as much as I can from dying). I do have to say the shrimps love the black hair-like fuzzy algae stuff. They swarm all over it. I was thinking of actually keeping a small tank of the algae infested java moss and periodically "reinfect" them to feed to my shrimps.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Another idea could be to get some to grow on rocks and then take turns using them to grow and feed your shrimp :D
blinster
Larva
Larva

Post by blinster »

I thought fuzzy hair algae only grow on plants? Can they grow on rocks?
ToddnBecka
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by ToddnBecka »

Algae will grow on any surface that holds still long enough. I've even seen snapping turtles with algae growing on their shells :!:
vidiots
Egg
Egg

Post by vidiots »

ToddnBecka wrote:Algae will grow on any surface that holds still long enough. I've even seen snapping turtles with algae growing on their shells :!:
I've seen snails in my tanks with hair algae growing on their shells.