Beginners' Frequently Asked Questions

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Done. :) Thanks!
The Fisherman
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by The Fisherman »

Very nice article Mustafa!

I have a few ideas for questions:

maybe something like:

Why is my filter shrimp picking at the substrate?

and maybe:

What do I feed my filter shrimp?

I'll post anything more I can think of :-)

-John
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Thanks. I will include the filter shrimp food question under No. 4 when I get the chance today. As for the other question...I think it's pretty obvious what they are doing when picking at the ground, as the picking and scraping is immediately followed by leading the collected food to their mouths. Plus...the picking and scraping is mentioned in their species profiles. I don't want to put too much species-specific information into the FAQ, which could easily be found in species descriptions.
The Fisherman
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by The Fisherman »

Mustafa wrote:Thanks. I will include the filter shrimp food question under No. 4 when I get the chance today. As for the other question...I think it's pretty obvious what they are doing when picking at the ground, as the picking and scraping is immediately followed by leading the collected food to their mouths. Plus...the picking and scraping is mentioned in their species profiles. I don't want to put too much species-specific information into the FAQ, which could easily be found in species descriptions.
Ah ok, good point about not putting to much species-specific info in the FAQ.

I'm glad I could be of some help though :-)

-John
shrimp-puff

Post by shrimp-puff »

this is wonderfull information ! Thank you
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

This may be too advanced for the FAQ, could need an article with pictures, but the real name for shrimp parts anatomy wise would go a long way to allow us to communicate more precisely.
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

Hi Mustafa

Could you give ranges for PH and Hardness.

For example.
As stated in the Shrimp Varieties Page.
What is, Slightly Alkaline ?
What is, Soft to Medium Hard, Alkiline ?
What is, Soft Acidic ?

This may get a little confusing to new members.

John
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Badflash, Newjohn....I'm putting those things on my list. :) Give it a few days for changes to show up.
The Fisherman
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by The Fisherman »

I second the anatomy idea, good to hear its going to go in :-D

Maybe something about how/why shrimp molt. I have heard it from some new people, that they think their shrimp is dead when they see what is actually a molt.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Ok...updated the FAQ....might be worth another read. :)
Pea-brain
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Pea-brain »

i don't mean to bug, but may I ask when part 2 will come out? It is mentioned in the article, But I haven't seen anything else anywhere else. Also I am looking forward to the article on water chemistry! Keep producing these wonderful articles, as they help us newbies a great deal! :D
iturnrocks
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by iturnrocks »

FAQ wrote:9. Do shrimp need plants?

Shrimp do not need plants. In fact, many shrimp come from habitats where are no plants at all.
"where there are no plants"
fatpigkenny
Egg
Egg

Re: Beginners' Frequently Asked Questions

Post by fatpigkenny »

Hi all, glad I found some like minded people here!

There's a product from Japan called Holuholu - basically a tiny desktop box with a shrimp in it

I really wanted one, but since they are not available in the US, I went to the pet shop to try and do it properly

I live in a tiny Manhattan flat, so they recommended me a 1 Gallon tank - BIG MISTAKE! (everything I have read suggested 10 G)

I bought 4 to begin with, they all died within 3-4 days. However the water I put in to begin with was warmish - i.e. there was hot water and therefore might contain copper.

So I want to give it another go. My question is, is the 10 G tanks really essential? I know it's a harder, but can I try with the 1 G tank again? or will they definitely die off.....

thanks guys

Kenny
shrimpman75
Egg
Egg

Re: Breeding!?

Post by shrimpman75 »

wow last post for this was in 07!! lol
Anyhow..I have been a shrimp enthusiast for a few months now, I have a well established 55gal planted tank. I managed to get indian whisker shrimp and redclaw assamensis. All now have mated I would have to assume since the females are berried?. My problem I have ran into the 1st time I managed to catch some of the berried whiskers is when I put them into a breeding basket. About a week into the basket and the females were no longer berried, but no little shrimp to be found??!! I released the females back into the tank and about a week later they were berried again! even my red claw female was berried after her molt I wasn't sure if that was possible because the male I have doesn't seem to be very mature, he's much smaller than the female at the moment and not showing elongated claws. I moved a couple of whisker shrimp females to a 10 gallon tank on there own, and left the others in the 55. I don't know what to do, I have 2 high powered back filters and a top end eheim canister filter. I am afraid the babies will be sucked up into them not to mention predatorized by the other shrimp and simensis algae eaters possibly . However there r lots of plants to attach them selfs to? dilemma! I realy want to be successful at breeding these beauties. Please Help! :-)
Last edited by shrimpman75 on Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shrimpman75
Egg
Egg

Re:?

Post by shrimpman75 »

I hope I posted this in the right spot! OH and please let me know how to get ahold of fuzzy-claw long arms, rustys and any other long arm u may have, can acquire or know how to get.
Thanks! :-D