Should I get more? UPDATE

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

wendyjo
Shrimp
Shrimp

Should I get more? UPDATE

Post by wendyjo »

So I have one adult and one baby left. I am no longer hardly feeding at all, yet I still lost another yesterday. Is the tank contaminated now, even tho I do regular water changes, gravel vacs, etc? Should I get more shrimp or will they just continue to die? I'd like to try again, but I'm not sure.
Last edited by wendyjo on Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

wendyjo, what has happened and is happening may still be the aftermath of an earlier problem. Even though you tried to may have corrected the problem, the shrimp may continue to die due exposure to the problems before. Just like people, shrimp have different levels of resistance to stress and poisoning. I hope the last members of your populations make it and regain their health, although with shrimp it is high unlikely. I would wait a while and see how it all plays out and then make a decission of if and when to add new shrimp and even if you need to re-cycle the tank. Please keep us updated and thank you for sharing your experience with us.
shrimpscampi

Post by shrimpscampi »

Wendyjo, i don't know the history of your setup but has this tank been used for fish in the past? the reason i ask is it possible a fish tank that has been treated with icks meds?
ick meds are often loaded with copper and as I understand copper can be absorbed into the silicone and continue to leach back into the systems. just throwing that out there because in the saltwater world a tank that has been treated with ick meds is generally viewed as unsuitable for a reef setup.
sorry about your shrimp :(
wendyjo
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by wendyjo »

It may have had ich meds in it - I have 2 identical tanks and one had ich meds in it and the other didn't, but I never thought to mark them. There is no silicone - it's an acrylic tank. Does the copper absorb into acrylic as well?

I don't want to waste the cycled tank, so if ya'll think that it will be an ongoing problem if I get more shrimp then I'll probably just stick a betta in there. I really like the shrimp tho :(
shrimpscampi

Post by shrimpscampi »

wendyjo wrote: Does the copper absorb into acrylic as well?:(
that i don't know
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

I think it does, I know that soaps are absorbed into plastic. It just might not absorb as quickly as silicone. Anyone else know?
wendyjo
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by wendyjo »

Yeah, does anyone else know??
wendyjo
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by wendyjo »

Well I lost the last adult today :( I actually saw her die - she just fell off a plant nose first into the gravel. Poor thing. So I did a major gravel vac and water change tonite - took out about 90% of the water and figured I'd put a betta in there this week. But guess what I found after I finished the water change? 3 babies of varying size from nearly newly hatched, a bit bigger and then one of the ones that hatched about 5 or 6 weeks ago and is getting some size on it. So I will wait on the betta and see how they do.

Here is what's odd - I took the advice here and cut way back on feeding - only once every 4 or 5 days and they would come running to eat. I'd wait abut 30 minutes and then siphon out any leftovers. But one of them ALWAYS died the next day to the point that I expected it to happen (I fed last night and fully expected the last adult to die today). I use a few different flake formulations - one is for omnivores and has "a fresh seafood mix" as the main ingredients, and the other one I use are Spirulina flakes. No copper in either of them. So what gives? I thought flake food was fine for them?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

It does not make much sense that always only one of them dies after feeding. If the food was really toxic they would all die. It still sounds like a plonged die off from an earlier problem to me.
wendyjo
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by wendyjo »

Yeah, I guess it's just coincidence.
nick11380
Larva
Larva

ich meds

Post by nick11380 »

i don't know the history of your setup but has this tank been used for fish in the past? the reason i ask is it possible a fish tank that has been treated with icks meds?
ick meds are often loaded with copper and as I understand copper can be absorbed into the silicone and continue to leach back into the systems. just throwing that out there because in the saltwater world a tank that has been treated with ick meds is generally viewed as unsuitable for a reef setup.

I recently bought a 30 gallon and two 10 gallon aquaruims (with stuff) at a rummage sale. Now I'm wondering if these aquariums would be safe for shrimp. I don't know the history of these tanks. I don't buy sick fish so I've haven't had to deal with sick fish or deal with treating a tank with meds in 20 years but it seems like everybody on the goldfish forum is always treating for ick or something.

If an aquarium has been treated with ich meds do the shrimp just start dying?
Is there a way to make an aquarium shrimp safe after it has been treated with ich meds?
Or is any aquaruim that has been treated with ich meds viewed as unsuitable for shrimp?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Should I get more? UPDATE

Post by Mustafa »

The tank should be fine after you give it a good rinse with your tap water. This whole issue is blown completely out of proportion by some people. If anything dies in your new tank it's because of "new tank syndrome", i.e. your tank has not cycled properly yet.
jeej
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Re: Should I get more? UPDATE

Post by jeej »

From the moment I realised I had poisoned my RCS with copper, it took a good two months to fully solve the problem. Really hard to totally remove it from the tank quickly. So I was just doing twice weekly water changes. Now everything is fine.

My point is, just because you are working to solve a problem, doesn't mean it will be fixed over night.