Pearl Shrimp (lots of Photos included ...)

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

sridharp77
Egg
Egg

Pearl Shrimp (lots of Photos included ...)

Post by sridharp77 »

Hi,

I was lucky enough to get around 50 numbers of the pearl shrimp from a dealer in Eastern part of India. Lost a few of them during shipping (about 6-7). I think they are all wild caught ones. I have read the details given in the Shrimp Varieties page. Can someone please help me with more details about them? They are about 2-3 cm in size now.

Regards,

Sridhar.P
Last edited by sridharp77 on Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

What other details do you need that are not covered by the information in their species description?
sridharp77
Egg
Egg

Post by sridharp77 »

Mustafa, Right now I have put them in a temporary tank so that they can get acclimatized to my water. Since they all are wild caught I think I may need to condition them to my water for a few days. Because I am pretty sure that the shrimps that I have got have not been conditioned at all. Is there any special care that should be given to them during the conditioning period? Do I add to need any thing to the water? What would be the ideal size of their tank? I am thinking of putting them along with cherry red shrimp as you have mentioned that they are peaceful. Or again it depends on their individual personality like the cichlids. My water is definitely not acidic so I think it will not be a problem to keep them in my normal water. what is your water parameter in which you are keeping them. I am hoping that there will be no further losses. I will keep you guys posted in my progress about keeping them.

Regards,

Sridhar.P
wklotz
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by wklotz »

Hi Sridhar!

This prawns come from a tributary of the Brahmaputra/NE India. You should keep them at somewhat higer temperatures (25-30°C, should be no problem in Karnataka) and in water of medium to high Carbonate content.

Greetings to India
Werner

PS:Thera are lots of intresting shrimp species near your location in Karnataka
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

wklotz wrote: PS:Thera are lots of intresting shrimp species near your location in Karnataka
That's what I told him, too (in a PM). :-D Anyway, Sridharp, as always I recommend the largest tank you can get for your shrimp. No, you don't need to give any special care during the conditioning period and you don't need to add anything to the water. And yes, you can keep them together with red cherry shrimp. I have *never* seen any aggression in these shrimp. They even sit together and eat from the same food. They are definitely not like your usual Macrobrachium shrimp with large claws. As long as you keep them in high ph water (7.6 to 8.4 is probably best) they should do ok and even procreate. As with all shrimp, keep the nitrates as low as possible (close to 0 is best). They are quite secretive shrimp though, so you might only see them during feeding time.

That's really all you need to know at this point and there is really not much more to say. I would also re-read all the articles, as most things mentioned in the articles apply to this shrimp, too. Just get some experience with them and come back to report back to us. I hope they will do fine for you as they are really nice shrimp.
sridharp77
Egg
Egg

Post by sridharp77 »

thanks a lot. I will keep you guys posted.

Regards,

Sridhar.P
sridharp77
Egg
Egg

Post by sridharp77 »

I have a small query. The shrimps in my tank are of two different types. Some of them are darker in colour similar to the ones in the bottom of the pearl shrimp varieties page while the other ones are slightly lighter in colour. But all of them are active and eating the food. Is this their normal colour.

Regards,

Sridhar.P
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

They can vary slightly in coloration, but you'd have to post some pictures for us to even begin to judge. It's next to impssible to figure out what you are talking about just by verbal description.
sridharp77
Egg
Egg

Post by sridharp77 »

Guys,

At last I was able to take some photos of my pearl shrimp and red nose shrimp. I do not know how to post them in the forum. Hence I am giving you the link to yahoo photos where I have uploaded the photos of the shrimp.
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/sridharp110 ... 2392320588

Let me know your comments and your suggestions.

Regards,

Sridhar.P
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Hi sridharp77,

Thanks for sharing your photos :D Your Red Nose Shrimp (Caridina gracilirostris) actually looks like a Yellow Nose Shrimp (Xiphocaris elongata) in the photos, is this due to the photography?

You can actually use Photobucket a free image hosting, video hosting and photo sharing service to post you IMG's into the post. You might want to try it and edit your post :wink:

Thanks again for sharing the pictures of your shrimp.
sridharp77
Egg
Egg

Post by sridharp77 »

Hi,

After i put the photos in the photobucket, i donot know how to post it in the forum. Can you please tell how to do that.

I am sure that they are red nose shrimps. But i am seeing the red colour only in one or two of them, in the others there are no red colour.

Regards,

Sridhar.P
sridharp77
Egg
Egg

Post by sridharp77 »

Last edited by sridharp77 on Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Very neat shrimp! I love the red nosed shrimp too. That doesn't quite look like the red nose on the shrimp variety page though. The pearl shrimp are fantastic! I've never seen the sold in the USA, but I'm always looking.

I'd like to ask you to do us all a favor and re-size these to 800X600 so we don't have to scroll back & forth to read the picture.
TKD
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by TKD »

I have seen the pearl's for sale here in Victoria but it was for $15 Canadien... so I passed.

TKD
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

I think my res nose shrimp is great :-D ! It is the most active shrimp in the tank and it looks so sleak 8)

I have been thinking aabout getting some pearl shrimp but their claws give me pause. Has anyone had problems with them being aggressive?

sridharp77, I agree with badflash. Click on the picture you posted on the photobucket site and choose edit then pick the the option to resize to fit on the discussion site or smaller and it will automatically resize on any forum you have posted them on :wink: