Mysterious spotted snails

This forum is read-only.
marusempai
Shrimp
Shrimp

Mysterious spotted snails

Post by marusempai »

Awhile back, I found a clear blob with dots in it on one of my plants. Curious, I let it be, and the dots grew and then vanished one by one. I didn't see any new life for awhile, so I assumed whatever it was got eaten, but now I have quite a few very small (size of a large pin head) snails, that are yellow with black spots. :shock: They have standard looking "mystery snail" spiral shells, though a bit more elongate and pointed than the ones I usually see at the LFS. They also seem really fast for snails... I know very little about snails, so maybe I just don't know how to look, but I can't find what these are anywhere. Do they sound familiar to anybody? I will try to get pictures, but I am a TERRIBLE photographer...
Cableguy
Larva
Larva

Post by Cableguy »

pond snails
marusempai
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by marusempai »

Oh dear... that was obvious I guess. :oops: Disappointing though, now I'm going to have to pick them out. They're kind of cool looking, but I don't want them to eat my plants... :smt012
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

If they are Physa or Physella sp. pond snails then they won't eat any plants. I have Physa sp. all over my tanks and they don't do any harm.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

My Cajun crays are having a feast on them. I was kind of suprised how big of snails they will actually eat. I now sea the pond snails numbers dropping and little shells all over. 3/16" seems to be the favorite size.
marusempai
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by marusempai »

Mustafa wrote:If they are Physa or Physella sp. pond snails then they won't eat any plants. I have Physa sp. all over my tanks and they don't do any harm.
Really? Hooray! Googling left me with the impression that all pond snails equal death to plants. I'm glad I haven't done anything about them yet then. :-D I guess I'll just keep an eye on them, and see how it goes... I've never been a big fan of snails before, but these have such lovely spots, and it's fun to watch them zoom around.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

I keep snails in all my tanks to eat extra food and provide food for crays. It works well.
iturnrocks
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by iturnrocks »

Heres the snails I have cruizing around my tank walls.

ToddnBecka
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by ToddnBecka »

The spotted one in the top pic looks interesting, does it eat plants?
iturnrocks
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by iturnrocks »

ToddnBecka wrote:The spotted one in the top pic looks interesting, does it eat plants?
I have no idea. The only plants available in the tank are these, and they seem to be ok. I rarely see the snails on the plants, they are most often on the walls of the tank.

Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Those are exactly the snails I was talking about above. They are some kind of Physa sp. They never eat plants...even soft ones.
marusempai
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by marusempai »

That's marvelous... those are exactly the snails I have, although mine are yellow with black spots, rather than the other way like the one in the picture. I've been watching them, and they do seem to prefer the rocks and glass to the plants...
iturnrocks
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by iturnrocks »

to avoid any confusion, those snails in my pics are really, really small, like 5mm long. I take pics with a 7mp camera, then cut out around the snail. I dont resize the photo, so its the equivalent of looking at them under a microscope. If I posted the whole photo all you would see is a brown dot in the middle.

This is the same photo from above with red arrows added to point out the snails. As far as I can tell, these are the adults. I have had them for about 8 months now, and this is as big as they seem to get.

lampeye
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by lampeye »

Wow...the "plant" looks like Chara. Haven't seen any of that in years.

The snails are definitley Physa or Physella. In my experience, they don't do any real damage to plants unless food is an issue. They're a great cleanup crew. It looks like you have some of what I call "blonde" pond snails - a mutation that gives them a light golden-brown body color.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

It looks like you have some of what I call "blonde" pond snails - a mutation that gives them a light golden-brown body color.
A snail that is aesthetically pleasing as well as being plant safe! That is a wonderful combo :D