Hikari Crab Cuisine?

This forum is read-only.

Moderator: Mustafa

ToddnBecka
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Hikari Crab Cuisine?

Post by ToddnBecka »

I've seen a few posts saying folks feed this to their shrimp, and was wondering whether it would be a good staple diet for dwarf crayfish?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Hikari Crab Cuisine?

Post by Mustafa »

ToddnBecka wrote:I've seen a few posts saying folks feed this to their shrimp, and was wondering whether it would be a good staple diet for dwarf crayfish?
It's as good or as bad as pretty much any other average fish food out there. It's just an average fish food (just compare its ingredient list with fish food). Any good quality fish food will make your crays happy.
ToddnBecka
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by ToddnBecka »

Do crays prefer flakes or pellets? I have NLS African cichlid pellets that contain spirulina, and also feed veggie flakes and Omega One flakes. The crays are currently housed w/the cherry shrimp, will be moved to the 30 long very soon. They also get frozen bloodworms and mysis shrimp occaisonally, as well as crushed ramshorn snails. They seem to be growing, but not breeding. I'm hoping the new, larger tank, and less competition from the shrimp will be beneficial for the crays.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

I'm feeding sparingly with sinking shrimp pellets. Because this is a tank with apple snails I also feed slightly cooked veggies like romaine and summer squash. The crays share this so little is wasted. The cherries get no special feed in this tank and are quite content with what the others don't get, snail poop, or algae. Everybody is making babies.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Everybody is making babies.
Great sign that things are in balance :D Thanks for sharing your feeding tips.
FISH WORLD ERIE
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by FISH WORLD ERIE »

I use the hikari bits as well as anything else I can put in their tanks. Fresh veggies, fruit, flake food, pellets, frozen foods, live foods and even an occasional fish corpse. "yummy"
I believe in a variety of foods and the crays and shrimp love it.
ToddnBecka
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by ToddnBecka »

I'll have to add some fresh veggies to their diet, they may be missing something important eating fish foods and snails. The cherry shrimp certainly don't seem to be lacking anything, they grow and breed very well. Any particular veggie food that the crays favor, or do they just eat whatever they find?
FISH WORLD ERIE
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by FISH WORLD ERIE »

Not sure if they favor anyone veggie in particular but I have fed boiled zuchinii, cucumber, frozen spinach, frozen collard greens(I freeze these myself), crushed peas, cut green beans and lettuce(no nutrition in lettuce though). I feed the lettuce mostly to my snails when it goes bad in fridge. But I will give the cajun and shrimp a slice also. Keep an eye on it and take it out if it gets fuzzy. Try different stuff. You will notice if they like it or not.

Jason
starrystarstarr
Egg
Egg

Post by starrystarstarr »

FISH WORLD ERIE wrote:I use the hikari bits as well as anything else I can put in their tanks. Fresh veggies, fruit, flake food, pellets, frozen foods, live foods and even an occasional fish corpse. "yummy"
I believe in a variety of foods and the crays and shrimp love it.
What types of fruit do you feed?
starrystarstarr
Egg
Egg

Post by starrystarstarr »

Ohh never mind I already found what you had posted in another topic.
YuccaPatrol
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by YuccaPatrol »

I do like this food because it does not disintegrate quickly and is easy to remove if left uneaten for too long. As for the ingredients, I agree with Mustafa that it is nothing more than generally decent fish food. It does have the benefit of not having any copper ingredients.
ToddnBecka
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by ToddnBecka »

Between the shrimp and snails sharing the tank, the crayfish are lucky to get any food at all, much less leave anything uneaten.