My Cambarellus crays(berried montezumae pictures added!)

This forum is read-only.

Moderator: Mustafa

milalic
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

My Cambarellus crays(berried montezumae pictures added!)

Post by milalic »

Currently keeping C. montezumae, C. puer, C. shufeldtii and C. patzcuarensis(orange).

I have babies of all minus the C patzcuarensis which I have a berried female. I will post pictures of the different crays later on.

-Pedro
Last edited by milalic on Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
YuccaPatrol
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by YuccaPatrol »

I was not aware that anyone was keeping C. puer. That is neat.

Any photos?
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Interesting. Looking forward to seeing the pictures.
YuccaPatrol
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by YuccaPatrol »

could you share your water parameters? even just pH and temp would be worth knowing if you are getting successful breeding in your crayfish tanks.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

So much for acedemic types. You got my interest so I did a little googling on "C. puer" and just about barfed. Where is pita when you need them?
Orientation of two species of dwarf crawfishes, Cambarellus shufeldti and C. puer, were studied in simple Y-shaped mazes. All crawfish were kept in a state of duress by continual prodding at the rear and rough handling during the five successive runs daily in the mazes. The majority of individuals of both species (> 79%) displayed consistent behavior in turning into one fork of the maze. The majority (95%) responded positively to cover when one fork of the maze was covered. Following extirpation of one eyestalk, 55% responded positively to cover, but following extirpation of both eyestalks only 37% responded to cover. Following removal of one chela, 86% responded positively to cover; and, following removal of both chelae, 86% still responded positively to cover.
Orientation of the Dwarf Crawfishes Cambarellus shufeldti (Faxon) and C. puer Hobbs in a Simple Maze
George Henry Penn, Joe B. Black
American Midland Naturalist, Vol. 70, No. 1 (Jul., 1963), pp. 149-158
doi:10.2307/2422778[/quote]
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

:x That is just wrong :!:
YuccaPatrol
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by YuccaPatrol »

Yes, that doesn't look like a very well designed experiment. I like to think that we "academic types" do a little bit of a better job these days than they did almost 50 years ago. . . . :wink:
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

YuccaPatrol wrote:Yes, that doesn't look like a very well designed experiment. I like to think that we "academic types" do a little bit of a better job these days than they did almost 50 years ago. . . . :wink:
You sure do!

I see Faxon & Hobbs in lots of the literature on these animals. I can't imagine what they were thinking.
YuccaPatrol
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by YuccaPatrol »

Hobbs is a god among crayfish biologists. You see his name so often because he was the one who originally named more species of crayfish in the past century than anyone ever has or ever will. Faxon laid a lot of the groundwork for crayfish biology earlier in the 1800's.

In this case, Faxon and Hobbs are referenced for their role in naming the species that Penn and Black were tormenting for "research".

These days, behavioral research tends to favor a controlled replication of a more natural behavior than what you would see when crayfish are harrassed and have their limbs amputated. :evil:
Last edited by YuccaPatrol on Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FISH WORLD ERIE
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by FISH WORLD ERIE »

I am currently keeping C. shufeldtii, C. patzcuarensis(orange/wild mix) and C. chapalanus. Only babies of shufeldtii so far. Looks like I have to do some work to catch up to Pedro. Or at least the crayfish do. :wink:

Jason
milalic
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by milalic »

I will dig the pictures i currently have and will try to get a few pictures of the females that are berried. I will do some measurements on the tanks parameters and post them here.

-Pedro
YuccaPatrol
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by YuccaPatrol »

milalic wrote:I will dig the pictures i currently have and will try to get a few pictures of the females that are berried. I will do some measurements on the tanks parameters and post them here.

-Pedro
Excellent. That would be great.
milalic
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

C. puer pictures and information

Post by milalic »

PH: 8
temp: 73F
conductivity: 550

Pictures of adults:

babies:

adult and baby:

Enjoy,

Pedro
FISH WORLD ERIE
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by FISH WORLD ERIE »

nice pics
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

So how do I tell the difference between these and C. shufeldtii? To my untrainined eye they look very much alike.