Woo-hoo! Finally!

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

amanda_h
Shrimp
Shrimp

Woo-hoo! Finally!

Post by amanda_h »

Just looked in my shrimp tank, and saw a pregnant cherry. Yay!

Mustafa, you had posted somewhere that cherries can carry 50-60 eggs. I couldn't really believe it, basing my experience on seeing my pregnant green shrimp carrying only 20 or so eggs. But this cherry? Packed full of eggs.

I'm very excited. :-D

You guys have to understand that I'd been trying to find male cherries for ages. Looks like Mustafa came through for me. :wink:
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

I told you you'd get some males. :-D My shrimp are fertile like that. Sometimes my Red Cherries are so packed with eggs that they look like a package of eggs with legs and head.

Congrats!

Mustafa
amanda_h
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by amanda_h »

You must have some very healthy shrimp, Mustafa!
John P.

Post by John P. »

Great news! I hope they yield well for you.

I haven't seen my pregnant Cherry for several days now. I'm a little worried.
amanda_h
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by amanda_h »

John, Mustafa had posted earlier than pregnant cherries tend to hide. Maybe that's what's going on.

I'm seeing mine at night, after the aquarium light's gone out. Using a flashlight. Yup. That's how big a shrimp geek I've become. :oops:
scrimp

Post by scrimp »

I do the same hahahaha.... I guess i got to start breeding the petshrimp way.
amber2461
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Re: Woo-hoo! Finally!

Post by amber2461 »

amanda_h wrote:Just looked in my shrimp tank, and saw a pregnant cherry. Yay!
Congratulations ! ! ! ! ! ! :lol:
amanda_h
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by amanda_h »

scrimp wrote:I do the same hahahaha.... I guess i got to start breeding the petshrimp way.
"Breeding the Petshrimp Way"

Sounds like the title of a new article, Mustafa!
Acsuth
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Acsuth »

I see a couple pregnant cherries in my tank...and they don't look to be carrying more than 20-something eggs...do I have unhealthy shrimp? :?
amanda_h
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by amanda_h »

Mustafa, you had posted in another thread that when the eggs are bright yellow, they are new eggs. Does this mean they haven't been fertilized yet? If not, how long will a shrimp typically carry unfertilized eggs before she drops them?

If it's not an indication of fertilization, what stages do the eggs go through as they develop?

I'm pretty sure the shrimp I saw last night was carrying eggs that were whitish coloured. Today, I'm seeing a shrimp carrying yellow eggs. It may have been the same shrimp but I couldn't tell the colour with the light from the flashlight, or it could be another pregnant shrimp...
amanda_h
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by amanda_h »

Make that two moms-to-be! :-D
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Egg coloration can be somewhat variable, too. You might see bright yellow to orange to darker orange towards the end and at some point you might actually see little eyes in the eggs. I guess the color depends on the developmental stage of the larvae in the eggs and also on the mood of the female.

Mustafa
amanda_h
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by amanda_h »

Cool. Thanks Mustafa.

Of the two pregnant cherries I saw tonight, one's eggs were quite yellowish, and the other's were much paler.

It would be much easier to track this in an emptier tank. Damn plants. :roll: :lol:
ming
Egg
Egg

Post by ming »

Congrats on your shrimps!
I can only imagine how hard it is to find them in the 20G tank
Mine is only 2.5G and sometimes I can't even find half of them! Then the next day I see almost all of them.
What lucky shrimps! :)
scrimp

Post by scrimp »

Thats like the tank in my office. I have two tanks in there, its always nice when I have someone come in and talk to them about the shrimp. Quite a few people have added shrimp to their desk or offices. I still cant find my picture of a baby shrimp newly born. ANYONE?