Tiny Shrimp

Post by Vera »

Thanks Paul! Now I can hardly wait to find out! :D
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Hello Paul,

I was wondering where that idea got stuck in my head! I did not mean to take credit for your idea. So, yes, it was Paul's idea to hang a net next to a filter. Sorry if it looked like I was claiming orginality for the idea.
pturley wrote:Vera,
THe idea has been brewing here through a couple of threads and now finally proven out in Mustafa's work.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Unfortunately, this project ended in failure. The eggs all hatched, but the hatched larvae "magically" disappeared for the most part (i.e. I already had less larvae than eggs when all hatched) and after two days they were all gone. I have no idea what happened. The eggs developed normally right up until hatching. It looks like they just "melted" away. I'll soon post of picture I took of the remaining larvae before they all "disappeared."

I'll give it a shot next time I see a dead female with eggs still attached.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Sorry to hear about the loss.

Hope it works better next time.
pturley
Larva
Larva

Post by pturley »

edit
Last edited by pturley on Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vera
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Vera »

I have read of 3 breeders who say they have had success artificially incubating and raising the fry with a 90% success rate, but have never seen any documentation on it. I can give you their names if you pm me. I know that two of them used slightly different methods, but I don't know about the third.
YuccaPatrol
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by YuccaPatrol »

I have one paper describing the artificial rearing of a Cherax species in which researchers had an 89% success rate raising eggs to independent juveniles. It does have some very interesting photos of the hatching chambers which were made from large barrel 50cc syringes.

I can send a copy of the article to anyone that requests it.
Vera
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Vera »

That's one of the one's I've heard of, but never seen documentation. Could you send me a copy of the article?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

pturley wrote:Did the megalops ever right themselves in the net, or just lay there on their backs?
2nd instars can and do, and from what I have seen, if they don't they die. (IE: On the bottom of an aquarium or petri dish)
They were just laying there and then just disappeared. The megalops did clump together though as if there was some sticky material keeping them together. You can see that in one of the pictures below. Here are the last pictures I took from December 22nd:

milalic
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by milalic »

Any updates on this? Did anyone made it?

Thanks
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

I haven't tried again...maybe someone else did. My take is that something was wrong with my water parameters. The eggs weren't in the same tank with the parents after all but in another tank.