Fairy Shrimp Territorial Behavior

This forum is read-only.
iturnrocks
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Fairy Shrimp Territorial Behavior

Post by iturnrocks »

in my little tank, i have 2 male Spinytail fairy shrimp. While watching them last night, I saw the larger one target the smaller one and bang heads just like goats or rams do. Its interesting to see such a primitive creature doing something so complex. I have observed similar behavior in the past by a smaller spinytail attacking a larger beavertail fs. I dont know if anyone has documented this in the past or if anyone actually cares, but I thought I would mention it anyway.

Its also interesting to watch something with such a short lifespan learn as it grows. When the fairy shrimp start out, they seem to be swimming aimlessly around the tank, running into plants and the walls a lot. As they get older, they become more aware of their surroundings and expertly maneuver around obstacles and turn before they hit the glass.

Another test of directional swimming skill can be done with a flashlight at night. The younger ones tend to swim circles around the lighted area, intersecting the beam occasionally depending on the circumference of their circle, always moving forward, but the older ones center themselves under the light and move both forward and backwards to stay in the beam.

Something I havent had time to really look into, but I have noticed that the majority of the time, the fairy shrimp swim around the tank in a counter clockwise direction, preferring to turn left all the time. I have noticed that with the spinytails and beavertails. Even when I was chasing the beavertails in the wild, it seemed they were always moving in a counterclockwise direction in the pool.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

:o Interesting observations, thanks for sharing.
Something I havent had time to really look into, but I have noticed that the majority of the time, the fairy shrimp swim around the tank in a counter clockwise direction, preferring to turn left all the time. I have noticed that with the spinytails and beavertails. Even when I was chasing the beavertails in the wild, it seemed they were always moving in a counterclockwise direction in the pool.
I wonder if it may be geographically dependent, just as the the water flushes the opposite dirrection in Australia vs. the USA :? They seem to become oriented later on in life it would be interesting to find out what factors influence this and if it can be changed :)