Caridina babaulti

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

alikhanweb
Egg
Egg

Caridina babaulti

Post by alikhanweb »

My petstore just got some. How tough are these guys to breed? Are they very sensitive like Crystal Reds or are they more resilient to environmental changes.
Appreciate any feedback.

This forum is awesome, I have been looking for this for a long time.
Bradimus
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Bradimus »

Is this the same shrimp Frank's Aquarium has listed as "Green Midget Shrimp"?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

It's not the same shrimp as the "green midget shrimp". The Caridina babaulti are not as sensitive as crystal reds and should be reproducing readily. However, they also do not take as much abuse as the N. denticulata sinensis.

Alikhan(?), May I ask where your petstore is located? I have also been trying to get a breeding population of these shrimp going and need more shrimp.

Take care,
Mustafa
Piscesgirl
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Piscesgirl »

Pictures please! :-D
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

I will post some pictures of the "green midget" (or some other name they go by) soon, since I am getting them on Friday. Until then...patience. :)

Mustafa
alikhanweb
Egg
Egg

Post by alikhanweb »

Petshrimp.com wrote:
Alikhan(?), May I ask where your petstore is located? I have also been trying to get a breeding population of these shrimp going and need more shrimp.
False alarm. I re-checked yesterday with the store and they said that they gave me the wrong information. They got something which they are sure is a Caridina sp. but not sure of the scientific name. They are selling it for 1.99 so its definitely not the green Indian Shrimp or Crystal Red.

Anyway, I live in the Washington, DC area and have to drive up to the Aquarium Center located in the suburbs of Baltimore. Its a hike but is the best store around in my area.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Go check the shrimp out anyway. It might still be an interesting Caridina species worth taking home. And if you can take pictures of it where the shrimp is recognizable, I might be able to tell you approximately what it is.

Mustafa