How to keep track?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Shrimp&Snails
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

How to keep track?

Post by Shrimp&Snails »

I have three....or four generations of tiger shrimp in my 10g tank. My question is how do you keep track of how many generations you have?
It was easy at first but now the "grandkids" are pretty much grown and it's hard to tell the difference with most full sized females being berried. There's also loads of various sized shrimp that are growing fast and it's getting confusing. :lol:
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Tracking is difficult for any colony that starts to breed readily. I have the same problem with my RCS and now just enjoy the new babies as they come. I used to keep a note pad log of when a new generation came along, but this becomes a problem when the F1 an F2 (children and grand babies) have their 2nd, 3rd and so on batch of babies. So I have just learned to enjoy the new members as they come. If I had unlimited means I would just have multiple tanks and transfer the generations as then reached a certain size or stage in life. Maybe one day :roll:
YuccaPatrol
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by YuccaPatrol »

Unless you move each new generation to its own tank, you'll lose track pretty quickly. Fortunately, it doesn't really matter much unless it is important enough to you that you set up extra tanks for this purpose.
n00dl3
Egg
Egg

Post by n00dl3 »

If you don't want inbreeding... you can buy a new batch of Tiger shrimps from some breeder and introduce them into your tank.