hawaiian shrimp

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

christ72
Egg
Egg

hawaiian shrimp

Post by christ72 »

Can some one please tell me if it is possible to breed Halocaridina rubra?
Bradimus
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Bradimus »

If it were not possible, wouldn't they be extinct?
Acsuth
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Re: hawaiian shrimp

Post by Acsuth »

christ72 wrote:Can some one please tell me if it is possible to breed Halocaridina rubra?
Several of us on here are trying...we'll definately post if we ever see babies lol

Amanda
PunaDJ
Egg
Egg

Post by PunaDJ »

About 4 months ago, quite by accident, my Hawai'ians bred. I suddenly noticed about 6 tiny "fleas" floating in the middle of the water column. With a magnifying glass, I could see that they had a shrimp-like shape. Over about a 2 week period, they gradually turned "horizontal" rather than "verticle," became more & more "shrimp-like," and then they disappeared into the lava rock on the bottom of my 5 gallon aquarium. I have about 12 shrimp in the tank now when I started with 6. I have been feeding dried spiulina powder and golden pearls. So, I guess something happened right. I have kept them in brackish water. So, for what its worth, it is possible...
scrimp

Post by scrimp »

What are golden pearls? I want these shrimp do they sell them anywhere but Hawaii? Where in Hawaii are they in the wild, and is it possible to just get them out of the wild?
PunaDJ
Egg
Egg

Post by PunaDJ »

Hi,

Golden pearls are an enriched rotifer sold by brineshrimpdirect.com. It is similar to cyclopeez I think. They also sell spirulina powder. Hope this helps.
51Cornell
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by 51Cornell »

So, PunaDJ, tell us how your tank is set up, full salt water, brackish or fresh, heated or not, what you think may have prompted the little guys to breed, etc. Inquiring minds want to know since there isn't much info on how to entice these guys to breed.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

And most importantly...did you ever see ovigerous (egg carrying) females? The reason I am asking is because you might have gotten some larvae with your original shipment of the adult shrimp as "hitchhikers." You might have not noticed them right away, but later and thought that the shrimp procreated.

Mustafa
PS: By the way...Golden Pearls are not rotifers but an artificially produced microfood.
PunaDJ
Egg
Egg

Post by PunaDJ »

Hi Everyone,

My Hawai'an shrimp tank is unheated & located in a finished basement. The water is brackish with a specific gravity of 1.014ppt. However, it was probably a little saltier when the baby shrimp appeared as the water level was down by about 2.5 inches below normal. The temperature in the tank is about 76 degrees. I never saw any evidence of eggs on the shrimp.

Don
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Thanks Don!

Let us know if you see any more babies in the future. That would undoubtedly mean that they are continuously breeding in yout tank even if you do not see any egg carrying females (which are probably hiding very well).

Mustafa
PunaDJ
Egg
Egg

Post by PunaDJ »

Mustafa,

I will keep everyone posted. You may already know this but others may not: for a link to a breeder on the Big Island of Hawai'i (my future home sometime next year!), go to [www.fukubonsai.com]. There is some breeding information on this site & they sell a book about the shrimp as well.

:D
Starringme
Egg
Egg

Post by Starringme »

PunaDJ wrote:Hi Everyone,

The temperature in the tank is about 76 degrees. I never saw any evidence of eggs on the shrimp.

Don
76 degrees!?!?!
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Starringme wrote:
76 degrees!?!?!
76 degrees FAHRENHEIT, not CELSIUS. :-D

Mustafa
IndianaSam
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by IndianaSam »

Mustafa wrote:
Starringme wrote:
76 degrees!?!?!
76 degrees FAHRENHEIT, not CELSIUS. :-D

Mustafa
Well naturally. Celsius doesn't use degrees. If it was in Celsius then it would just be denoted as 76C.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

IndianaSam wrote:Well naturally. Celsius doesn't use degrees. If it was in Celsius then it would just be denoted as 76C.
Actually, Celsius is also denoted in degrees. It's "Degrees Celsius." :wink:

Mustafa