hawaiian shrimp

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

PunaDJ
Egg
Egg

Post by PunaDJ »

Update on the baby Hawai'an shrimp...

After about 2 weeks, I think the original group of babies have dissappeared into the lava rock substrate. I think I have a new batch of babies as they are smaller and are floating vertically in their aquarium.

I have never seen an egg-laden female and I am not sure I can tell males from females anyway. I am guessing that females are staying hidden in the substrate???

I feed them powdered spirulina algae every other day which seems to be working good for them. :D
51Cornell
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by 51Cornell »

PunaDJ, on your last post (11/24) are you saying your Hawaiians had more babies now (in November) or are you adding to what you said about the [June] babies? I was lead to believe that these shrimp are seasonal breeders--late spring/early summer, females do hide in the rocks when carrying eggs but a very few have been observed sneaking out.
PunaDJ
Egg
Egg

Post by PunaDJ »

Hi 51 Cornel! :D
There have now been two batches of young during the past 1.5 months in addition to the batch during the summer. I don't think Hawai'ian shrimp are seasonal because on the Big Island of Hawai'i and Mau'i, there are only two seasons. These two seasons are virtually the same.