Size difference between sexes?

This forum is read-only.

Moderator: Mustafa

ToddnBecka
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Size difference between sexes?

Post by ToddnBecka »

I've noticed that the orange/brown C. patzcuarensis females are quite noticeably larger than the orange males. Is this due to the mixed genes, or are the females normally larger than the males? The males don't appear to be growing any larger, though the smallest female is catching up with the two larger females.
The single orange female in the 10 is currently about the same size as the orange males. Otherwise, the males have larger claws (relative to their size) than the female.
I've been waiting for the female to grow large enough for breeding before introducing a male into the tank. Is she large enough now, or should I wait for a few more molts?
YuccaPatrol
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by YuccaPatrol »

Cambarellus diminutus females grow larger than males. Males have larger claws relative to body size.
Last edited by YuccaPatrol on Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
michiganmale248
Larva
Larva

Post by michiganmale248 »

C. patzcuarensis females grow larger than the males. Seems like the orange/brown mix grow alot faster than the pure orange.
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

I would have to agree, with Michiganmale248, My C. patzcuarensis Females are larger than the Males.

And the Orange C. patzcuarensis , Grow at 1/2 the rate of the Orange/Brown.

John
zwergkrebszuechter
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by zwergkrebszuechter »

Maybe its something like the heterosis effect. Geneticists once found that if they breed certain inbred strains of drosophila flies together they will get F1 that is larger than both the parent strains. The reason is unknown.
That does work with other critters, too. It is very commonly used for plants, just think of corn. There is literally no other corn on the fields than hybrid corn, bred from 2 different parent strains.

Of course Cambarellus males always are smaller than the females. I had never had any problems with infertilized eggs of the larger orange-brown females. So the a little smaller males will have no negative effect.