Field Trip!

This forum is read-only.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Field Trip!

Post by badflash »

See the thread viewtopic.php?t=2330

I am planning a trip to Oswego toward the end of May when these guys are supposed to start spawning. I have some likely collecting localities. Some other members have expressed an interest in joining in on the trip. If you would like to be involved, PM me or e-mail me. I'll post details.
RCSGuy
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: Field Trip!

Post by RCSGuy »

badflash wrote:See the thread viewtopic.php?t=2330

I am planning a trip to Oswego toward the end of May when these guys are supposed to start spawning. I have some likely collecting localities. Some other members have expressed an interest in joining in on the trip. If you would like to be involved, PM me or e-mail me. I'll post details.
Wow! It could be great if you could start a breeding colony! I wish you luck on your trip ;)
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

I think breeding them should be pretty easy. They are a successfull invasive species. Looks like they can explode their populations pretty quickly. Some of the info I've found seems to indicate they go from larva to sexually mature adults in just a month. It does sound like the larva must be separated from the adults as most mysids eat their own.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

of the info I've found seems to indicate they go from larva to sexually mature adults in just a month.

:o That is fast!
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

They breed pretty easily. They release miniature versions of themselves every few weeks. I'm not sure if they prey on their own young...future observations will have to clear this up. As for the field trip...I wish I could make it, but I will be in San Diego in May.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

I plan on heading up this weekend to collect. I'll be staying at the KOA in Mexico NY. I'll keep you all posted.
The Fisherman
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by The Fisherman »

I'd been planning a collection trip too, once I heard about this a while back. I didn't know you were planning a trip too, Badflash. Lake Michigan is about a 45 min drive (If I remember correctly. It's not far.) from my house. It does say they have been found in lake Michigan...

I'm trying to talk my LFS into giving me some of the Mysid shrimp that swarm around some of the anemones that come in.

Although, it seems that Mysis 'shrimp' are not real shrimp, they just look like shrimp, and are only distantly related.

-John
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Check your navigation maps. These mysid like boat docks on rocky shore lines.
zapisto
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by zapisto »

i wish i can do the same here in canada.
the only shrimp i found around here was crayfish, who look like cajun.
dont know their name.

and in ontario lake it is not mysis but an other one who not get eat because of the hook they have.

i did get A. desmareti from a collect in europe (france) , and hoping have them breed soon.

anyway good luck badflash and let us know.
pixl8r
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by pixl8r »

I'd love to catch some of these too. The only shrimp I've caught are brine shrimp, which are more than abundant in the Great Salt Lake. It's about as hard as catching a cold in winter.

Badflash, do you have one of those nets with a jar at the end? I'd imagine that it will be difficult to catch them without damaging most.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

The literature I've read says to just use dip nets from the pier.

zapisto- the place I am going (where they have been seen) is Lake Ontario.

Here:
http://maps.yahoo.com/;_ylc=X3oDMTExNmI ... 0753&mag=6
zapisto
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by zapisto »

well on the canadian side , i never heard about them.
i am fishing chnook and steelhead in ontario lake , and sometime i am very close of the border in the middle of the lake , and sometime i can see some huge tall cheminee on ths US side.

i will check and ask for this shrimp (kind of) next week when i will go.
The Fisherman
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by The Fisherman »

badflash wrote:Check your navigation maps. These mysid like boat docks on rocky shore lines.
I'll definitely check for a likely location. My neighbors basically live on their boat all summer - I'll check with them too, to see if they have seen them.

I could take friends along too...Though they may think it strange, that I'm going to the lake for shrimp. :D

I believe there is a dwarf crayfish in my area. I live about 5 min walking distance from a river, and I see a lot of roughly 2" crayfish living under upturned clamshells. Could just be juveniles, but they do look different...I may go on a 'mini' collection trip for these crays too...

Good luck badflash.

-John
zapisto
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by zapisto »

The Fisherman wrote:
badflash wrote:Check your navigation maps. These mysid like boat docks on rocky shore lines.
I'll definitely check for a likely location. My neighbors basically live on their boat all summer - I'll check with them too, to see if they have seen them.

I could take friends along too...Though they may think it strange, that I'm going to the lake for shrimp. :D

I believe there is a dwarf crayfish in my area. I live about 5 min walking distance from a river, and I see a lot of roughly 2" crayfish living under upturned clamshells. Could just be juveniles, but they do look different...I may go on a 'mini' collection trip for these crays too...

Good luck badflash.

-John
check here to see what kinf od cray you have in your area
http://iz.carnegiemnh.org/crayfish/coun ... _state.htm
The Fisherman
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by The Fisherman »

zapisto wrote:
The Fisherman wrote:

Good luck badflash.

-John
check here to see what kinf od cray you have in your area
http://iz.carnegiemnh.org/crayfish/coun ... _state.htm
Thanks zapisto, that really helped. Looks like I've got several species....The Procambarus species lives in the creek I live near, but in VERY small populations. I'm going back to the river to check what species those were.

-John