Bad Seller Alert

This forum is read-only.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Bad Seller Alert

Post by badflash »

I ordered moina from a fellow on aquabid that goes by the name of petfish. The picture on his auction was clearly moina. When they arrived I thought they had died as there were no moina and a few ostracods. I contacted him and he agreed to send me more if I paid shipping. What arrived was more ostracods.

After a discussion about what he was shipping this is what came out:
When I bought them, they were sold as moina. They are still being sold as moina(if you buy it from the guy in LA, and the micro flex people, the moina will look the same thing). If your definition of moina is different, I am sorry.

Naming convention - I am not really into ID thing. People called them by that name, I just kept the name. I am not into going around and changing the way people ID things. If I did that, it will be hard to keep tract of thing.
Moina is a common name. When you say moina, you still have hundred of different species. The same thing goes for ostracodes. As I indicate before, I am not into ID them. To ID them mean to write a publication and collects the sample. Our understanding of anything at this level is so primintive that you can fudge anything and the journal will publish them.

What people are buying - A source of food and something that will keep some of the worm alive longer. This moina or whatever does that function.
Decide for yourself if you want to do buisness with someone who thinks like this.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Thanks for the warning :shock: ! I will be sure to avoid "petfish" if I am on the site. I wonder why he is using a picture of moina when he is selling something else :?
YuccaPatrol
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by YuccaPatrol »

Although both Moina and Ostracods are crustaceans, they are not even in the same CLASS of organisms.

You don't sound like you are being picky about getting a specific species of Moina, and would have certainly been happy with any species of moina (and would probably have been satisfied with a closely related species of daphnia). But ostracods are very distantly related and are certainly not interchangable with moina.

Ordering moina and receiving ostracods is not much different from ordering a parrot and receiving a turtle. Yes, they are both in the same phylum/subphylum but that doesn't make you nitpicky for distinguishing between the two.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

He doesn't seem to know the difference and doesn't seem to care.
YuccaPatrol
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by YuccaPatrol »

Although both Moina and Ostracods are crustaceans, they are not even in the same CLASS of organisms.

You don't sound like you are being picky about getting a specific species of Moina, and would have certainly been happy with any species of moina (and would probably have been satisfied with a closely related species of daphnia). But ostracods are very distantly related and are certainly not interchangable with moina.

Ordering moina and receiving ostracods is not much different from ordering a parrot and receiving a turtle. Yes, they are both in the same phylum/subphylum but that doesn't make you nitpicky for distinguishing between the two.
iturnrocks
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by iturnrocks »

Moina

Ostracod
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Yes, they clearly do look different :!:
iturnrocks
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by iturnrocks »

Yes, the ostracod always seems to show up dark under my microscope, probly because it is a crap microscope.

Heres a pic I took with my digital camera. The ostracod is on the stick in front of the Triops. It looks like a little clam.