This forum is read-only.

Moderator: Mustafa

AnneRiceBowl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Gettin' Some Cambarellus Shufeldtii!

Post by AnneRiceBowl »

Just when you thought you had a setcion of the forum without me... :twisted:

I am getting some Cambarellus Shufeldtii in less than a week.
YuccaPatrol
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Re: Gettin' Some Cambarellus Shufeldtii!

Post by YuccaPatrol »

AnneRiceBowl wrote:Just when you thought you had a setcion of the forum without me... :twisted:
LOL. . .

Welcome to the Crayfish forum, ARB! :lol:

Frankly, it has been much too quiet in here lately, so I'll look forward to your input and inquries. . . .

:-D
AnneRiceBowl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by AnneRiceBowl »

LOL Thanks YP!

I've been wanting these little guys since I first read about them here about a year ago. Now, I finally have somewhere to keep them. They maybe going into the 30 gallon long with my Singapore and RCS.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

My experience is that you want a really aged tank for them with lots of little critters like ostracods and copepods. I was not able to breed them until I had a well establshed tank with lots of little bugs and biofilm. Now they are breeding like fleas.

I knew it was just a matter of time before you were seduced to the dark side!
YuccaPatrol
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by YuccaPatrol »

They should be just fine with the RCS too. I tossed a couple young male RCS into my C. diminutus tank to see if they would co-exist. The two RCS are still there after 3 months.
milalic
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by milalic »

I keep them with shrimp and snails. Mine breed in every single tank I put them, even new setups. They are very prolific. Hope you enjoy the crays when you get them. :-D
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

This is a great thread and it will be helpful since I just got some juvenile dwarf crays today.

My question is will they do okay in a newly cycled tank. They don't need to breed right now, just to grow and stay healthy :D Please let me know.

Thanks.
AnneRiceBowl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by AnneRiceBowl »

LOL Thanks for the info everyone! Keep it coming!
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Neonshrimp wrote:This is a great thread and it will be helpful since I just got some juvenile dwarf crays today.

My question is will they do okay in a newly cycled tank. They don't need to breed right now, just to grow and stay healthy :D Please let me know.

Thanks.
I would definetly put a lot of snails in the tank to help "age" it. If you have a tank that has ostracods, add some of those too. I don't know why but I lost most of my crays, even in a cycled tank, when I was keeping it too clean. They like to eat the stuff on the bottom.

I have a 20 long I just set up last month as a grow-out tank. I loaded it with leaves, java moss, java fern and, red rams, and apple snails. Iused an"instant cycle" by squeezing out a foam filter in the tank the day it was set up. I lost maybe half the baby crays I moved in there, but none of the apple snails that are normally far more sensitive. Two weeks later I added more baby crays and these are fine.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

I have a 20 long I just set up last month as a grow-out tank. I loaded it with leaves, java moss, java fern and, red rams, and apple snails. Iused an"instant cycle" by squeezing out a foam filter in the tank the day it was set up. I lost maybe half the baby crays I moved in there, but none of the apple snails that are normally far more sensitive. Two weeks later I added more baby crays and these are fine.
Thanks for this vital information which I will certainly use. I have some ramshorn snails in there but I will add more plants and leaves from other established tanks.
AnneRiceBowl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by AnneRiceBowl »

I GOT THEM TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! All alive and well even after sitting at the post office all weekend. The heat pack was still going, too. They are floating in my tank right now.

The tank that I am putting them in has been up and running for about a year. There's plenty of little life in there for them to eat. The tank is also planted, and has PLENTY of snails: ramshorns, MTS, and a few other "hitchhiker" snails from buying plants.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Happy to hear this :D ! Snap a couple of pictures if you can :-D
milalic
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by milalic »

AnneRiceBowl wrote:I GOT THEM TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! All alive and well even after sitting at the post office all weekend. The heat pack was still going, too. They are floating in my tank right now.

The tank that I am putting them in has been up and running for about a year. There's plenty of little life in there for them to eat. The tank is also planted, and has PLENTY of snails: ramshorns, MTS, and a few other "hitchhiker" snails from buying plants.
If the package was sent on Saturday morning, they will not sit in the post office. The post office will be close, but USPS keeps working oN Sunday. So there is a very high chance that if you ship on Saturday, the package will get to the person by Monday.

Hope you enjoy the crays. They are fun to have and watch.

-Pedro
AnneRiceBowl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by AnneRiceBowl »

Oh yeah, I should know this by now. :oops:
YuccaPatrol
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by YuccaPatrol »

I have noticed that the post office has become so very good at moving priority mail packages that perhaps the old idea of shipping only on Mondays may be a thing of the past. . . .everything I have received in the past year has arrived in 2 days no matter where it was sent from.

Glad your crays arrived safe and sound, ARB! :-D