Gettin' Some Cambarellus Shufeldtii!

This forum is read-only.

Moderator: Mustafa

Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Hi Yucca, when I started shipping priority mail all the packages got there on the second day. This was about 4 months ago, but now I have had a few packages take 3-4 days to get to the destination. It might be post holiday/winter conditions :?
AnneRiceBowl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by AnneRiceBowl »

I love these little fart heads!!!! They're my little demon "shrimp"!!!! I caught 2 of them arguing over a piece of food (there was plenty for everyone in the tank), but as Cajuns do (and I don't mean crays...lol), they argue over everything!
ToddnBecka
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by ToddnBecka »

Naturally, any piece of food looks more appetizing if another crayfish has it. :wink: Sounds like my two dogs and rawhide chews. Give them each one, and the young female will ignore hers, then snatch the slobbery, partially-chewed chunk from the older male at any opportunity. He usually ends up eating both sooner or later. :lol:
AnneRiceBowl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by AnneRiceBowl »

LOL I wish I could squish them like I do to dogs! :shock:
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

:shock: You squish your dogs :? I hug mine :wink:
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Just an update on my dwarf crays. I have had four juveniles in a 5 gallon tank will moss, pellia, a few stem plants and some small lava rocks. The substrate is Fluorite and the tank is a Eclipse corner tank. I am concerned because I only see two crays at most when I look in the tank. Do you think I should do a thorough search of the tank for them? I did lose a fifth cray a couple of days after I got them, that was almost a month ago.
YuccaPatrol
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by YuccaPatrol »

In my main crayfish tank which has lots of leaf litter and hiding spots, I estimate that I can only see half of them at any one time. I haven't cleared it out to take a full census, but I notice different ones and sometimes notice a young one that is the offspring of a female I never noticed was carrying eggs.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Thanks Yucca.

Here are some pictures of the tank and a cray:

5 gallon Eclipse corner tank

I found a cray waling around

Here it is again
AnneRiceBowl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by AnneRiceBowl »

I rarely see mine any more once they settled in and found a hole. I may see one out in front of the tank picking at food.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

May males are always out & about looking to pick up a girl. They are not shy at all. I wonder if it goes with the breeding. They actually come out in the open to molt. It is easier for me to catch them with my hand than with a net.

I saw a program once on foxes that were being bred for their pelts in Russia. They started breeding them to be tame like dogs to be easier to take care of. Once they got a bunch of domestic foxes, the color changed and they started looking like dogs with typical dog mottled patterns useless for the fur trade, unless you happen to be Cruella Deville...
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

I find these little crays to have big personalities :-D There is one that just wants to fight with me when it sees me near the tank. It stands up against the glass and shakes its claws at me :lol:
AnneRiceBowl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by AnneRiceBowl »

Hey everyone! I have great news! This past Saturday I removed all the plants and driftwood out of the tank, and although I discovered that I am down from 5 crays to 3, I found a female with a tail full of larvae! What should I expect from here on out with the female and the larvae? HOw do I care for the larvae?
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Make sure there are lots of places for the babies to hide. Oak leaf litter and gravel works well in my tanks. They eat the same things as the adults. I've seen no indication of parents eating the babies as long as they are well fed.
AnneRiceBowl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by AnneRiceBowl »

There should be plenty of places for them to hide. They are in my 30 gallon long HEAVILY planted tank with my Singapore, snowball, and amano shrimp tank with auratus pencilfish.

So about the feeding thing, I was never quite sure what to feed the adults. What do they eat? I feed the shrimp a meaty and veggie homemade sinking food. I also feed shrimp pellets, algae wafers, a tropical flake, spirulina flake, and crushed betta bio-gold--not all at once, of course, but throughout the week.
justrick
Egg
Egg

Post by justrick »

Hi Anne,

They should do just fine on the food you are feeding the rest of your inhabitants and you have it right by feeding them a variety.

Good luck with your new aquisition.

Rick