pH for Red Cherry Shrimp

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

alikhanweb
Egg
Egg

pH for Red Cherry Shrimp

Post by alikhanweb »

I have heard that the recommended pH for Red Cherry Shrimp is between 6.8 and 7.0. Is this correct?

Also, is it possible to obtain dried beech or oak leaves in the summer. Where would I even begin to check? Darn, I should've thought about it past Fall.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Incorrect. Neocaridina denticulata sinensis have a very wide PH range. I keep mine at 7.6 PH and they are happily prducing hundreds of young shrimp for me each month (but then...I do give them literally *perfect* conditions).

When it comes to recommended ph I'd be careful, since many people claim all kinds of things without much grounds.

As to the dried oak or beech leaves, you're out of luck for now. You will have to wait until the fall when leaves fall to the ground so you can collect them. Make sure they are not green and try to collect as many as possible since they will have last until next fall. Luckily oak leaves do not decay all that easily in the tank, so they last a long time. They also do not decay all that easily outside, so you should be able to collect oak leaves throughout the whole winter and spring. Only in the hot summer does the decay process accelerate and the leaves are gone.

Mustafa
alikhanweb
Egg
Egg

Post by alikhanweb »

Petshrimp.com wrote:Incorrect. Neocaridina denticulata sinensis have a very wide PH range. I keep mine at 7.6 PH and they are happily prducing hundreds of young shrimp for me each month (but then...I do give them literally *perfect* conditions).
Good to know. Having no algae in the tank should still promote breeding, correct? I have a newly setup tank in which I am feeding these guys alot. Should I see results soon or do I have to wait till algae growth kicks off.
Pigheaddd
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Pigheaddd »

I keep my cherry reds in pH + - 6.5. They are doing fine in that condition. Babies are getting bigger and bigger now. As Mustafa mentioned, they can take wild pH range. Strong species!
Starringme
Egg
Egg

Hmm...

Post by Starringme »

How do you guys test for the PH value??

Heard that there are test strips available for testing the water and more expensive guages that are put into the tank.... Wonders if these guages are worth te investment...
alikhanweb
Egg
Egg

Re: Hmm...

Post by alikhanweb »

Starringme wrote:How do you guys test for the PH value??

Heard that there are test strips available for testing the water and more expensive guages that are put into the tank.... Wonders if these guages are worth te investment...
I just use the regular, old fashioned testing kit. I would like the electronic guage that measures pH, temperature, conductivity but those are expensive.
Pigheaddd
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Pigheaddd »

I use Milwaukee pH meter. It is easy to use. Exactly the same one. You can try to find it from Aquabid or Ebay. It is about $30~$40 bucks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 62008&rd=1
Starringme
Egg
Egg

Post by Starringme »

Hmm... The Milwaukee pH meter IS very tempting...
Saves some time and it's convenient, isn't it...

But than again... I'm just a poor student... So i guess i'll jus go get a testing kit jus like alikhanweb.

Thanks for the info guys!
gnatster
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by gnatster »

Howdy,

I'm new on the site, my first post.

I've been breeding Cherry Reds for a few months now and the pH in thier tank runs about 7.8-8.0. I've seen no i'll effects but I wonder if they would be more productive at a slighty lower, say 7.0, pH.

I am also looking for Crystal Reds to breed.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Welcome "gnatster",

I don't think they would be more productive. With Red Cherries it's all about the food. They need sufficient food to be productive. They are voracious eaters.

Mustafa
RooLee
Egg
Egg

Post by RooLee »

Most crayfish preffer harder water, because of their shell (they need calcium!) So if you are not sure put them in harder water rather than acidic. Most shrimps will do fine in water with PH 6.8 till 8. Always leave the shell of a shrimp in your aquarium, it will eat it for the calcium!!! The only type of shrimp wich will not eat it eventually are the Atyopsis Gabonuensis. Still i leave the old shell in the water, it desolves slowly and enriches the water.