Amano hatching and surviving in 100% fresh water - pics

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

fett
Egg
Egg

Amano hatching and surviving in 100% fresh water - pics

Post by fett »

Well..I was reading on the Amano page in the Varieties section and noticed that it said that Amano hatchlings absolutely will not survive in a fresh water tank, no matter what. I'm not a shrimp expert by any means, but I would like to share my experience with multiplying Amano, and smaller shrimp.

About a year ago I purchased about 5 Amano shrimp. When I first purchased them, they were at least 3cm long. I now have at least 8 shrimp in there, many are about 5cm and some are close to 2cm. It is completely freshwater, no brackish. I havent seen any larva, but I have a huge 1ft cubed areas worth of java fern, so its a good hiding spot. There is no doubt in my mind that the extremely small fish have to be the progeny of the originals. They are much much to small to be the same ones. I am going to link some pictures, because the validity of my argument will undoubtedly be disputed. I might add that the shrimp had eggs when I got them, but I think they also bred for the first couple months. I haven't seen eggs in while though.

Original shrimp:

Newer, smaller shrimp:

Size comparisons, larger older shrimp (size of originals at purchase) and new smaller shrimp:
(Small)
(Large)
(2 Large, 1 Small)
(Large and Small)

I'm not trying to step on anyones toes, I just want to confirm this can happen. Aquarium keeping is largely a hobby of discovery, and to deny new knowledge is to deny the essence of fish keeping.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Hi fett and welcome :)
I'm not trying to step on anyones toes, I just want to confirm this can happen. Aquarium keeping is largely a hobby of discovery, and to deny new knowledge is to deny the essence of fish keeping.
I know what you are saying and agree with this as well. That being said, this is a big claim you are making and I am open to any proof you have. The shrimp you are showing us in the picture are definately adult amano shrimp.

However to provide even better evidence/proof you will need to have pictures of larvae, babies and juveniles as they develope in the freshwater tank. I am not saying that you are lying or are wrong, although I could and so can others. You need to have more documentation and recordings in the form of log/journal and pictures/video to be accepted. Just some friendly advice. I hope you find this forum helpful in keeping you shrimp.
fett
Egg
Egg

Post by fett »

Thanks!

I have a really crappy camera, and I dont think they are spawning anymore, so I cant get any larval pictures. They also have way to many hiding spots. The only evidence I have is that the original 5 or so shrimp were the size of the one in my hand. That picture was taken over a year ago. All of them were that size. If you look at latter pictures (starting with #6) you can see that the small shrimp is very tiny compared to the larger ones. And I think he is at least 3rd generation.

I know I'm going up against a goliath here, but I really do believe these are new shrimp. Its a physical impossibility that these shrimp just happened to get smaller and multiply! I just wish I had a better camera and stuff. Its not a shrimp dedicated tank also, so there is a lot going on.

thanks for being nice =)
I'm preparing myself to get flamed all to hell hehe.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

fett wrote:
I'm preparing myself to get flamed all to hell hehe.
This is definitely not a good attitude with which to start posting in this forum. In fact, you come here and insult me and everyone else by implying that we are closed-minded and do not accept "new knowledge" (Quote: "Aquarium keeping is largely a hobby of discovery, and to deny new knowledge is to deny the essence of fish keeping.") and that we are hostile (see your above statement). Do you really think this is the right type of attitude, especially for someone who just made his/her first few posts? If anything *this* forum is open to any and all new knowledge, as long as it's credibly and verifiably presented. Actually, I would *love* to see someone present some real proof that they bred amano shrimp in freshwater. If the proof is there why should we not accept it? Nobody gets "flamed" here. Critical, scientific thinking is promoted, which some extremely sensitive people with obvious psychological issues interpret as "rudeness" or "flaming."

Before I reply to your claims I should say that I honestly think that these kinds of "claims" without any proof whatsoever are a total waste of my time as I have to give the exact same explanation that I gave others over and over again. If you had actually followed the rules and searched the forum (as I told you to do in my email reply to your claim) then you would have already heard the explanation.

Now to your claim. I see absolutely no proof whatsoever for your claims. None, zero. Do you know how many times I have heard both here in this forum and elsewhere: "I bought this and this many amanos and now I found another one so my amanos must be breeding in freshwater." I've heard the *exact* same claims about the asian and the african filter shrimp, too. It always comes from unexperienced shrimp keepers and they never have any kind of evidence for their claims. Same applies here.

The shrimp you are showing as "tiny" and claim to be a "young" is a full adult and not much smaller than the other shrimp. You obviously don't see this, but your "tiny" shrimp is a male and about normal size, whereas your "big" shrimp are all females. Male amano shrimp are *always* smaller than the females. It's very, very noticable. A shrimp at that size doesn't just suddenly (and magically) appear out of your java moss jungle. You would have seen it already much much earlier as a juvenile. As to why you think that you all of a sudden have a new shrimp in your tank, you might want to perform a search and read all the explanations I have already given to the other people who had the exact same claims.

Plus...let's see what you are actually saying above:
About a year ago I purchased about 5 Amano shrimp
Sounds like you're not even sure how many shrimp you actually purchased. :roll: Warning sign number one.
I havent seen any larva,
Warning sign No. 2: Larvae are always visible even in freshwater. They will be around for a few days before they die off.
but I have a huge 1ft cubed areas worth of java fern, so its a good hiding spot.
Warning sign No. 3, and one of the most common claims given by uninformed people who have no idea about shrimp and larvae. Do you realize that larvae don't go hiding in java moss but float around in the water column?
There is no doubt in my mind that the extremely small fish have to be the progeny of the originals.
Warning sing No. 4: Blind faith. Since you obviously have not done any real research in these animals you blindly believe what seems to make sense to you. "No doubt in my mind" given the circumstances (lack of experience, lack of research etc..etc.) is a sign or real closed-mindedness.
They are much much to small to be the same ones.
I don't know what pictures you are looking at, but in the pictures above we all seem to see a bunch of adult shrimp in the pictures with just normal size differences between males and females. Did you even know how to distinguish between males and females (you would if you did your research by the way).
but I think they also bred for the first couple months
This is symptomatic for all the claims you have made so far. You "think", i.e. you're not even sure, if they had eggs or not. You also "think" that you had "about" 5 shrimp originally. Obviously you don't remember things all that clearly, but still you say "i have no doubt in my mind." Go figure.... :roll:

Also, carrying eggs is not automatically "breeding." Animals only "breed" if the result of mating are offspring.

Plus...and this shows how much of a waste of a time this actually is...YOU HAVE A COMMUNITY TANK WITH A BUNCH OF HUNGRY FISH (see pictures above)!! Who in their right mind would even think that *any* larvae, who obligatorily float in the water column would escapte the mouths of fish (like the Black Neon and the barb/rasbora like fish above) whose *natural food* is freshwater zooplankton such as shrimp larvae!! I.e. those fish are micropredators! But even micropredator or not, the larvae will get eaten!

So, still "no doubt in your mind?" Anywway, for everyone else, this person wrote me an email before already with a very "smartassy" tone (and no "hello" or any introduction whatsoever...just starts telling me that I am wrong and he is right) along the lines of "you claim these shrimp can't be bred in freshwater and unless my shrimp have shrinking abilities mine have!" I told him that I get claims like this all the time and to do some research on this topic first and then if he still think that he "bred" the amanos in freshwater to post picture proof and methodological proof in my forum. And here we are....obviously he has done absolutely no research, came here with an attitude, posted absolutely no proof and wasted my time, as many of his "predecessors" have done before. I even gave him the benefit of the doubt and believed that he actually had baby shrimp and said that he might actually have some other shrimp (like a Neocaridina sp.) instead of an Amano....and not even the "baby shrimp" story turns out to be true. He actually does have Amano shrimp, no baby shrimp and still "thinks" (actually has "no doubt" in his mind) he bred them.....

So, please...anyone who thinks that they have bred "amanos" in freshwater...please, please do some research first, read this forum, get some experience with shrimp etc...etc...before wasting my and everyone else's time. :roll:
Last edited by Mustafa on Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:32 am, edited 5 times in total.
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

fett
Hello and welcome to the Forum

I would have to agree with Neonshrimp.
A little more evidence would help.

If you are going to try and Breed the Amano Shrimp, This could be your Thread to post reports.

From what I have been told, the Amano Shrimp will not carry Eggs if Nitrates levels are to high. You may try testing your water and if the Nitrates are high, try and lower them.
Then the Females may start carring Eggs again. And you may have more information to report.

John
fett
Egg
Egg

Post by fett »

So you choose to reiterate that I am just a waste of everyones time, yet you write a giant article on how stupid I am. I'm no philosopher, but that seems a bit ironic.

I understand you are the big chief here, so no need to publicly humiliate me. Though I doubt my account will be active for long, as your trigger finger is probably itching to ban me. That makes me sad, because I really didn't mean any harm at all. If I seemed "smartassy" it was out of ignorance, not hubris. I apologize for that.

But thanks for explaining what happened. Though it was demeaning, it did answer my question. I'm sorry I don't have solid proof, but I'm not a scientist and I didn't exactly set out to breed Amano. I'm just reporting what I saw, and obviously I was confused. Sure, I could have circumvented this by searching the forums. I'm sorry I didn't. :oops:

That being said, I think you could have been a little nicer about it.

Again, sorry for wasting everyone's time.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

I'm not *trying* make anyone look stupid. But I will point out things that make absolutely no sense and if that makes the poster look stupid, then well, that's tough luck. The poster should think about what he/she is posting, AND do the research, before posting it. That's what the rules are partly for.

My job here is to keep this forum free and clear of all kinds of senseless speculation and misinformation. I want to keep the quality of this forum up. The information presented here can usually be trusted to come from experience and backed up by hard data and proof as much as possible. I, and many others, would like to keep it that way.

Also, there are right and wrong ways of introducing yourself in a forum (especially this one) and per email as a beginner. "You said this and that on your website and you are wrong and I am clearly right" is the wrong way, because you are a beginner and more than likely have no idea what you are talking about. "I'm a beginner with shrimp. I have done all the research and searched the forum, but I still can't explain the following. I have an amano shrimp that is smaller than the others, but I can't explain where it came from. It says here that the larvae can only survive in saltwater, but my tank is all freshwater. Can you help me?" comes close to the right way of doing it. Close, because if you actually do enough research you will answer most of your own questions (including the the question I used in the "right" example).

Not only do you choose the wrong way TWICE (in your email and the forum), but display a sarcastic and, yes, smartassy attitude all along, even in your last post. Then you tell me how to run my forum (for example: "you could have been nicer"), which breaks yet another rule, and you have already broken a few.

I am not going to ban you, yet, for the simple reason that you have show signs of realization that what you did *might* have been wrong. I urge you once again to read the rules carefully and research the forum (and read the articles) before posting so I don't have to go ahead and ban you (that includes the attitude problem). I don't give everyone that much leeway.

This post also serves as a last warning. I hope I have made myself clear. Thread closed.