Asolene Spixi, Any Comments?

This forum is read-only.
leto3113
Egg
Egg

Asolene Spixi, Any Comments?

Post by leto3113 »

I tried searching the name here, but didn't have much luck. I have limited experience with snails, only having a few oddball rams horn that were stowaways on live plants, some MTS, and a lone Olive Nerite I was lucky enough to find at a LFS(I've never found another).

I was thinking of trying Asolene Spixi in my fish and shrimp tanks. I've heard they are nocturnal, if that's true do you ever see them? Any other comments would be appreciated, thanks!
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

There is information to be found if you search under "spixi or spixis" :wink:

I have tried to keep these snails and found them to be much more sensitive to changes in water conditions than most snails. They also were eaten by my shrimp :? These were young snails mind you, about half a cm. I still like my nerites most! Happy reading :-D
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

I keep them. Apple snails in general need hard alkaline water 7.5-8.2 pH range, the harder the better. They need cleaner water than cherry shrimp, but I do keep them together.

I have a hatching tank to bring up the babies until they are nickle sized, then they go back in the main tank.

Everthing likes to eat baby spixies.

Be aware that they can not be shipped legally across state lines in the USA at this time. While there is no specific restriction against these snails, all apple snails require a permit to be shipped accross state lines from the USDA. When I applied for Spixies the permit was "denied at this time" while my permits for Brigs were approved. The USDA has been told (not true) that baby spixies are plant eaters.

Currently Brigs are the only apple snails they are granting permits to.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Currently Brigs are the only apple snails they are granting permits to.
I hope this changes to allow more snails to be transported, soon! We are responsible hobbyist and ahould not give cause for these laws :!:
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Most people keeping pets are irresponsible. We are the exception, not the rule. The restrictions were put in place as a result of economic damage caused by Cana snails and the Giant Aftrican land Snails (actually several species). These were released by people tired of their pets. The USDA wants to limit this.

They are not banning ownership, just transport. If you can find them in your own state, you can do what you want in that state. I am in the process of setting up an invert exchange website that will facilitate the exchange of such animals legally. They have wide distribution already, it is just a matter of finding out where to get them legally.

You also need to check your own states department of agriculture to be sure the snails are legal to own. Most states that have agriculture that is damaged by pest snails have laws against the pest varieties. Texas and Loisiana which have significant rice crops, have laws against canas.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

I am in the process of setting up an invert exchange website that will facilitate the exchange of such animals legally. They have wide distribution already, it is just a matter of finding out where to get them legally.
That actually is a good idea. Hope it goes well, please keep us updated.
leto3113
Egg
Egg

Post by leto3113 »

Thanks for the information guys. Maybe I'll try a normal LFS Brig and see how that goes.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Maybe I'll try a normal LFS Brig and see how that goes.
These guy produce too much waste for me. I have tried using Nerites and they are turning out to be great. They keep the algae away and they are pretty active in my tank :D