How long do amano shrimp live?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

7Enigma
Larva
Larva

Re: How long do amano shrimp live?

Post by 7Enigma »

Very interesting thread. I love when posters bring back old threads and update us!

I'm very interested in how heavily planted the tank is and just as importantly do you ever prune the plants? With no water changes in 3 years and stating you have hard well water, I would be interested to know what the GH/KH of the tank water is in comparison to your well water. Most people I know that don't do water changes but just top off use distilled water to keep the tank conditions pretty static. Obviously if you have lots of algae/plants they will be consuming the calcium and magnesium, but other trace salts and dissolved solids will continue to buildup in that amount of time. It may be just a testament to how well these amanos can adapt to slowly changing conditions.

Could you by chance take a picture of the tank? Is it glass or acrylic? If glass could you possibly razor blade the front of the tank so we can see in? I'd love to see what the world looks like for these shrimp and snails.
DatDamWuf
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by DatDamWuf »

how can I post a pic, I've forgotten
DatDamWuf
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by DatDamWuf »

Couldn't figure out pic posting, here is URL for a rather blurry shot, I'm out of practice:

http://cheezburger.com/View.aspx?aid=3279491072

I actually have done an occasional incremental water change but they were small to pull out slime algae, which I seem to have gotten under control. I cannot turn off the filter because doing so in the past sucked creatures in the seaclear filter, you can't get them back out without dissembling the entire bioball filter. The pic sucks but what you see is a lot of bog wood with java moss and detritus, a couple of moss balls that ought to be dead but are not. and some low light plants. On the right you can see one shrimp on back wall, in corner is a large bogwood piece with java on the top and thread/bearded? on the bottom.
shrimpnsnailsagain
Egg
Egg

Post by shrimpnsnailsagain »

I forgot my old login password for my account ShrimpnSnails but i'm happy to report my one eyed Amano shrimp - Columbo, is still alive and well....not bad considering i bought him in October of 2004 :)

Happy shrimping :))
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Wow...thanks for the data point. I have also found out that Amano shrimp live a very, very long time. So 7 years is the record so far according to your data. It helps that your poor shrimp only has one eye..makes it easier to identify that shrimp in case you decide to get new shrimp. :) If you want a new password for your old account just contact me and I'll take care of it.
DatDamWuf
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by DatDamWuf »

This is my last update. The smaller shrimp I got in 2007 died 9 months ago, so lived to nearly 6 years old. The elder shrimp died last week at nearly 8 years old. She showed no signs of slowing down, I didn't see her for a few days, which is not unusual with all the algae/plants/bogwood in the tank, then I didn't see her for a week. When she didn't come out to play when I added water yesterday I thoroughly checked the tank and she's gone. I've checked the tank 4 times while writing this cos I keep thinking she'll pop out at me as she has in the past.
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by KenCotigirl »

6 years and 8 years is wonderful. I hope you plan on adding a couple more and continuing to update us.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Thanks for the update! Wow...6-8 years...that's a very long time for such a small animal. I bet they could go longer if they don't die of environmental causes. I know for a fact that red cherry shrimp can live at least 2-3 years, too.
DatDamWuf
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by DatDamWuf »

Well, the shrimp fooled me again! I started to break the tank down and when I pulled out the big bogwood there she was, indestructible shrimp is indestructible!
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by KenCotigirl »

Great news! This is good lesson for everyone. Shrimp hide and when breaking down a tank with shrimp need to check and recheck plants and hardscape for hiding critters. It would be shame to lose them them this way.