Baby Marmokrebs

This forum is read-only.

Moderator: Mustafa

michiganmale248
Larva
Larva

Baby Marmokrebs

Post by michiganmale248 »

One of my marbled crayfish had babies and I thought I would share some pictures with everyone.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w145 ... C01783.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w145 ... C01772.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w145 ... C01769.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w145 ... C01764.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w145 ... okrebs.jpg

They are very tiny, only 9 days old. I will post more pictures after they color up.

Last picture is the mom, I will also try to get a better picture of her. She is a darker shade of brown.

Thanks for looking and sorry you have to click on the links. I dont know how to resize the pictures.

Paul L
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

One of my marbled crayfish had babies and I thought I would share some pictures with everyone.
Hi Paul, thanks for the nice pictures. The adult cray looks great!

To resize in Photobucket you should click on the edit button after clicking the picture and then choose the resize option. Try it and let us know how it goes :wink:
Terran
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Terran »

Are these your first batch of young?....

A while back I purchased two large Marmorkrebs....I was thrilled when they started producing young......

First couple of batches of egg carrying and young appearance were infrequent.

Now the two adult Marmorkrebs are like production line factories. Last four batches they alternated one carried eggs while the other fed, molted and grew. When the young were independent it seemed almost immediate that the other adult Marmorkreb would begin carrying its own eggs while the recent mother began more active foraging, molting and growing. Last four batches they have alternated like this.....

Before their first couple of batches of young were even bigger than a Cajun I had more Marmorkrebs than I knew what to do with. Now the young are starting to carry too.

They really do reproduce like roaches once they get in their groove.....

A really awsome crayfish I wish more was known about them....
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

michiganmale248 & Terran
That is great news.

It will be nice to see another Species in the Hobby here in the US.

John
Vera
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Vera »

Those are gorgeous pics! I just noticed mine had hatched this morning, but was waiting until tonight to take pics of them under their mother's tail.

There is actually quite a lot known about marmorkrebs as they have been studied extensively in Germany. The main thing that is unknown about them seems to be exactly where they came from and whether or not they actually originated in the aquarium trade. :lol:
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

The best info I've seen is they originated in the USA from a hydridization of two related species. No one has claimed responsibility.
Vera
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Vera »

Yes, the closest relative they've found is the fallax (sp?) from Florida.

I was just looking for a link I had of a wonderful study done on them in Germany, but it must have been in pdf. I'll have to look through all of my pdf files in this computer and find it, but it gave a huge amount of info on the larval stages they go through and just about everything else about them.
michiganmale248
Larva
Larva

Post by michiganmale248 »

Neonshrimp wrote:
To resize in Photobucket you should click on the edit button after clicking the picture and then choose the resize option. Try it and let us know how it goes
Thanks for the help. I resized them in photobucket and for some reason they are still coming out large when I try to post them here.

Terran wrote:
Are these your first batch of young?....
Yes this is my first batch of young. I purchased 1 adult and 1 young. It took no time at all for the adult to carry eggs.

Vera wrote:
I just noticed mine had hatched this morning, but was waiting until tonight to take pics of them under their mother's tail.
Thats great Vera. I can hardly wait to see pictures. Man I have been taking pictures all week. I really need to get a better camera. :D
Vera
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Vera »

My pics may be a few days in the coming. She was all of a sudden camera shy last night when I tried to get pics. :roll:
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

What temperature and photoperiod are you folks using? What sort of water parameters?
ToddnBecka
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by ToddnBecka »

She was all of a sudden camera shy last night when I tried to get pics.
I find it helpful to set the tripod/camera close to the tank, and leave it there so the critter/s become accustomed to it. Then it's just a matter of waiting for the right opportunity...
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Sounds like an art in itself. Happy hunting :-D
YuccaPatrol
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by YuccaPatrol »

These things scare me.

Because they reproduce asexually, they have incredible potential as an invasive species. Just one getting loose and into a local waterway could spell disaster for native crayfish species.
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

YuccaPatrol
That is a very important point.

Which all Hobbiest should take into consideration.

John
Vera
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Vera »

The marble crayfish are very scarey for just that reason! I will be very careful with mine. Here's a pick of the babies under Mom's tail: