Macro Pictures w/Canon ESO...Macro function (poss 56k?)

This forum is read-only.
Suzie Q
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Macro Pictures w/Canon ESO...Macro function (poss 56k?)

Post by Suzie Q »

I have been reading all of the threads on here...I Love this forum!!!!!

Anyway, I have a Canon ESO Rebel XT...10 megipixel? I think...I really know my camera...just a brain fart right now, and the camera is at home...it came with a 18?/55 lens and a 55/200(300?)...can post more details later...I have taken some pretty good macro shots with it, but really tiny (betta fry or new hatched Ghost Shrimp)...no matter what I do, I can not get it to focus...I have even tried manual focus, and it just won't focus that tiny! I would love to have a macro lens, but right now, I am saving for a 150g FW tank. Any suggestions? Do I need to get further away from the tank? I am a pretty good photographer, and usually get drafted to take the pictures at birthdays, family gatherings and I have done about 6 weddings for friends...it is just my little obsessions that I am having trouble with. HELP PLEASE!

Here are just a few Macro pictures...

Worm thing is now gone, and she is doing fine...

This is before the "ribbon" showed up...same shrimp

This is a newly hatched Ghost Shrimp...believe it or not...

This is another one...

Thanks,
Lori
wijnands
Larva
Larva

Post by wijnands »

Not bad, especially for a Canon kit lens.

Manual focussing with a modern DSLR is tricky.

A lowbudget solution to getting closer would be a closeup filter. A raynox dcr250 would only set you back about $40. Would allow you to get closer. Focussing will remain a challenge with them though.
Suzie Q
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Suzie Q »

wijnands wrote:Not bad, especially for a Canon kit lens.

Manual focussing with a modern DSLR is tricky.

A lowbudget solution to getting closer would be a closeup filter. A raynox dcr250 would only set you back about $40. Would allow you to get closer. Focussing will remain a challenge with them though.
My friend (who IS a freelance photographer) looked at this camera...but chose the 20D? instead, because it could not stand up to what she wanted to do with it...Football pictures...baseball...and such as a freelance would...It was what I wanted, and what I could afford. I would love to have a Med or Lg format camera...I love taking pictures...I took this camera on a cruise Feb. 1yr ago...I'll post some of the pictures if anyone wants to see...sorry off subject.

The first and second pictures were taken with her at the front of the tank, and I stood back about 1 1/2 ft or so...no tripod. I use "auto" everything..as I have NEVER taken any photography classes, and don't quite know how to use the apature/fod/shutter speed/etc. stuff on the camera...know what they are...why their used, just don't know how...I play sometimes with it, but that does not help me. I guess I could have stood back even further for the baby and just majorly cropped the pictures down?
wijnands
Larva
Larva

Post by wijnands »

Suzie Q wrote:
My friend (who IS a freelance photographer) looked at this camera...but chose the 20D? instead, because it could not stand up to what she wanted to do with it...Football pictures...baseball...and such as a freelance would...It was what I wanted, and what I could afford. I would love to have a Med or Lg format camera...I love taking pictures...I took this camera on a cruise Feb. 1yr ago...I'll post some of the pictures if anyone wants to see...sorry off subject.
All current entry level DSLRs are good. The kit lens of the Canon is somewhat less than the 18-55 of the nikons. Personally the ergonomics and the menus of the Rebels drive me bonkers!

The first and second pictures were taken with her at the front of the tank, and I stood back about 1 1/2 ft or so...no tripod. I use "auto" everything..as I have NEVER taken any photography classes, and don't quite know how to use the apature/fod/shutter speed/etc. stuff on the camera...know what they are...why their used, just don't know how...I play sometimes with it, but that does not help me. I guess I could have stood back even further for the baby and just majorly cropped the pictures down?
All lenses have a minimum focus distance. Yours is about .92ft or 29 cm. So you could get closer a bit and crop. If you want to get closer you'll need more gear.

Should you choose to learn about photography you may want to pick up this book:

[ADMIN: link to commercial website removed]
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

wijnands,

I have removed the link to the commercial website. Please read the rules. Commercial links are not allowed. I know you just want to help, but the rules need to be adhered in the process. In the future just mention the name and ISBN of the book such as follows:

"Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs with a Film or Digital Camera (Updated Edition) (Paperback)" by Bryan Peterson.

ISBN-10: 0817463003
ISBN-13: 978-0817463007
Suzie Q
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Suzie Q »

wijnands wrote:All lenses have a minimum focus distance. Yours is about .92ft or 29 cm. So you could get closer a bit and crop. If you want to get closer you'll need more gear.
My lens is a 18/55, and the Macro is .28m/0.9ft...I have read and reread some OLD books (like for the 70's) on photography...of course these don't include Digital SLR cameras. Maybe I do need to look into that book!

Thanks.
wijnands
Larva
Larva

Post by wijnands »

Which isn't macro.

And mustapha, as you perfectly well know I didn't post that link to spam.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

wijnands wrote:Which isn't macro.

And mustapha, as you perfectly well know I didn't post that link to spam.
I never assumed you tried to SPAM. I know you tried to help. But that is not the issue here. We have rules here and we all (me included) follow the rules regardless of what our intentions are. The rules are there for a very good reason and anyone who wants to participate in this forum has to follow them...no exceptions. You actually just broke another rule with your post. That makes two in one day. I strongly suggest that you read the rules and follow them from now on if you want to participate in the forum.

And my name is MustaFa.....not MustaPHa.
wijnands
Larva
Larva

Post by wijnands »

My mistake. I'd assumed standard forum rules and didn't anticipate the no commercial links clause. I've taken a closer look now.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

No problem. Oversight happens sometimes.
zshuzshu
Egg
Egg

Re: Macro Pictures w/Canon ESO...Macro function (poss 56k?)

Post by zshuzshu »

I have the Canon Rebel. You are using the macro on the zoom lens? Right? Did you have it on a tripod? That is a must. It will take excellent macro shots. I also have a 1:1 macro lens and the big difference with using it is that the whole critter will not be in focus because of the depth of field. Using the zoom on the macro will get everything in focus. I think underwater is just more of a challenge. Keep trying. I thought that was a pretty good shrimp picture. Also...set the iso to 800 -1600. The higher the number the more grainy a blown up view will be but it is a 'faster' setting and if something is moving it will do a better job of capturing the moment.
seraulu1
Egg
Egg

Post by seraulu1 »

zshuzshu wrote:I have the Canon Rebel. You are using the macro on the zoom lens? Right? Did you have it on a tripod? That is a must. It will take excellent macro shots. I also have a 1:1 macro lens and the big difference with using it is that the whole critter will not be in focus because of the depth of field. Using the zoom on the macro will get everything in focus. I think underwater is just more of a challenge. Keep trying. I thought that was a pretty good shrimp picture. Also...set the iso to 800 -1600. The higher the number the more grainy a blown up view will be but it is a 'faster' setting and if something is moving it will do a better job of capturing the moment.

Wow that's good idea thanks for that!!!!!!!!!!! how to hypnotize
josh24
Egg
Egg

Post by josh24 »

I never thought that it is this new version of canon camera.
it was great having this kind of cam..
how to get a girl to like you