White Cray, help with ID

This forum is read-only.

Moderator: Mustafa

Vera
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Vera »

The male gonopods are beneath the Pair of swimmerettes that come up on the body. (The things that tell you whether or not your crayfish is a male.) You do need to lift them with a toothpick or something to be able to look at them.

It is true that males go into Forms I and II each time they moult. They only breed in form I. It has also been speculated that females may do the same thing, but I have been able to have successful berries between each moult of my females, so I don't believe that.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Got the Blue alleni today from the auction I won on saturday (the one I won the draw and got all of them for free!). Well the seller didn't pack like he was making nothing on the deal, they were packed perfectly and all in great shape. Nice big insulated box, big bags with lots of air. No complaints there at all.

The auction was for "unsexed juvies ~2 inches". That is usually a red flag for "I'm getting rid of all my males" but as it turns out there were two males and 2 females. I couldn't have hoped for better than that!

So here are the girls:

Here is the 3" male:

Here is the 2" male:
YuccaPatrol
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by YuccaPatrol »

badflash wrote:
The auction was for "unsexed juvies ~2 inches". That is usually a red flag for "I'm getting rid of all my males"
:lol: :lol: :lol: Thanks for the 'heads up' on that one! I hadn't considered that would be how people dump their males. . .
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

The LFS got another shipment of white crays, but just 2 of them. Fortunately one was a femal, so I got her too. Lets hope I can keep them alive.
Vera
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Vera »

I'm sure you will do fine with them. The worst problem with the whites seems to be getting them to reproduce, so I hope you have lots of luck there! :D
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

An update on my blues. They are growing like weeds! Please excuse the algae on the glass. I didn't see it until I used the flash!

badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Just an update on the whites:

Ready for a molt:
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Turns out my whites are P. Clarkii, and today I got something really special!
Check her tail!
TKD
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by TKD »

That is a lot of eggs :shock:

TKD
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

Alot is a understatement :shock:

How does the poor girl walk around.

John
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

She doesn't much. She mostly stays in her hide. I put food close so she doesn't need to go far. I'm setting up her own tank this weekend.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Glad to see that these guys are finally reproducing! :) You can leave the young in with the mother and the father...they won't harm them. I would move the little moves once they put on some size.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

I'm a little worried about overcrouding. There are 3 crays in this 20 gallon tank now. I'm concerned about having a couple hundred babies in there too.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

If you can manage to get a new tank cycled and "seasoned" (which is the hard part) fast enough so that the young won't die, go for it. Or...just get a tank started and it should be ready by the time the babies have put on some size. Remember that the couple hundred babies will be tiny for a little while and won't produce all that much waste.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

That should be pretty easy. I'm using a sump system now, so it'll just share the water and I'll move a bunch of the gravel over from Mom's tank.

I understand the babies go cannibal at about 1", right? I've seen no tendancy towards that at all with the adults though. The Alleni were a different story...