interesting shelter idea

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

wijnands
Larva
Larva

interesting shelter idea

Post by wijnands »

A nice twist on the standard pvc tubing pyramid. The mesh is ment to allow javamoss to grow over it.

pleco_breeder
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by pleco_breeder »

Hello,

I saw something like this on a youtube video with crystal reds. I'd love to do something similar, but haven't been able to figure out what type, or where to get, the mesh yet. Several types out there, but some that I wouldn't want to put in a shrimp tank because of either lead or copper. Any idea what they're using?

Thanks,

Larry Vires
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

You could use plastic screening with glue.
starrystarstarr
Egg
Egg

Post by starrystarstarr »

This would be a great project to do.
wijnands
Larva
Larva

Post by wijnands »

To me it looks like the mesh they use in screen doors. That always looks like it's cotton dipped heavily in some sort of plastic.
ToddnBecka
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by ToddnBecka »

There is also nylon screen available for window/door screens. It would be non-toxic, and have a very fine mesh. Metal screen is usually made of aluminum, I don't know whether that would be a problem.
There are also plastic meshes available in craft stores in various sizes.
wijnands
Larva
Larva

Post by wijnands »

From what I can remember from high school chemistry class aluminum doesn't dissolve much in water. But nylon would probably be the best option here.
apistomaster
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by apistomaster »

There are a very large selection of screen and netting materials, all non-toxic available from major aquaculture suppliers in black, clear and white.
Woven nylon, mono-nylon all in any mesh size you could possibly desire.

The trick is partly in what type of pipe you choose. The normal PVC white is good because it is denser than water, Some of the grey or black pipes tend to float. Wonder if that is why the glavanized hardware cloth was used, to provide some negative bouyancy?
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Galvanized would court trouble in a shrimp tank.
apistomaster
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by apistomaster »

badflash wrote:Galvanized would court trouble in a shrimp tank.
One might think so but the use of it is common in discus breeding and the results are more discus. An oxidate forms an inert layer on the suface of glavanized material and this would be a small amount of surface area to begin with that it would probably make little difference. I would not be surprised to find one could raise RCS in an old galvanized bucket if wanted.

Assuming most shrimp are cultured in moderately hard alkaline water and regular water changes the chances are good that it would not be a problem.

There are so many other options known to be safe that it is hardly necessary to court fate. There is stainless steel mesh available too. But presumably being a DIY invention means the budget is constrained.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

I'm betting you are wrong, but feel free to give it a try. Most shrimp are very sensitive to heavy (and not so heavy) metals. Fish could care less.
pleco_breeder
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by pleco_breeder »

Hello,

From a chemistry viewpoint, what Apisto is saying is accurate. Just like electroplating. The molecular charge of the metal creates a single molecule coating on the metal. However, even though I know this to be a fact, I avoid using any kind of metals in my fishroom because the possibility of leeching is a possibility if it is scratched. Anyone that wants to try this can contact me and I'll explain a very simple, albeit dangerous if not done carefully, method of electroplating galvanized to make it tanksafe. I do not want to post this in the forum because of the potential risk if not done carefully. The shrimp hobby is still fairly new, and we don't need to lose any hobbyists.

Larry Vires
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

I keep clear of metals as much as possible. I've seen too many reports of people killing off their tanks. Theory and practice are often quite different, and there is no reason to temp fate when perfectly good alternatives are available. Plastic mesh screening is easier to cut and can easily be glued into place with aquarium friendly glues.
RCSGuy
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by RCSGuy »

pleco_breeder wrote:Hello,

I saw something like this on a youtube video with crystal reds. I'd love to do something similar, but haven't been able to figure out what type, or where to get, the mesh yet. Several types out there, but some that I wouldn't want to put in a shrimp tank because of either lead or copper. Any idea what they're using?

Thanks,

Larry Vires
I think I saw that video too, but I think they were using a store bought item from Japan, black bamboo or something like that (those CRS items).

Anyways this looks like a nice project and a great place for the shrimp to chill especially in a tank in which you keep fish with shrimp ;)
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

What I am doing right now is using small clay pots and cutting them in half. Looks cool and my inverts love them. Java Moss will root to it too.

I have a tile saw and it takes about 30 seconds a pot. The pots cost about 25 cents each.