Grow Algae

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

alikhanweb
Egg
Egg

Grow Algae

Post by alikhanweb »

Mustafa,

How do you grow algae on the side to feed your shrimp? I have heard of many ways but am always curious.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

The best way to grow algae is in the same tank with the shrimp (which is kind of impractical if that tank is also a planted tank). The main pre-conditions for good algae growth are:

1. Nitrate (supplied by fish and shrimp waste)

2. Phosphate (ingredient of pretty much all fish food)

So...if you have enough of both ingredients, algae will grow like crazy. It usually grows best on the walls (glass) of the tank. You do want the right algae though...shrimp usually do not eat the very tough algae that grows in very long strings, so as soon as any of that appears you have to pluck it so that other algae types take over.

If you want to grow the algae in a seperate tank from the shrimp, you need to put some kind of non-algae eating fish in there for the nitrate supply.

Mustafa
Starringme
Egg
Egg

Woo...

Post by Starringme »

I have both requirements met... but than... I don't see any algae growing.. Is light also a factor?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

*Of course* light is a HUGE factor! :lol: Algae are plants and plants need lots of light. The more light, the more algae.

Mustafa
Starringme
Egg
Egg

Wow!

Post by Starringme »

Wow! That was a fast reply! Woot... Thankz... Guess i need to go lightning next... Hmm... Wonder how much wattage is enough... I'm currently using 20 watts... I'm going for more! But hope that there is lightning out there within my bugdet.

Thankz again.
|squee|
Egg
Egg

Post by |squee| »

how about algae wafers? do they go for them?
alikhanweb
Egg
Egg

Post by alikhanweb »

|squee| wrote:how about algae wafers? do they go for them?
I tried the algae wafers and they don't go for it at all.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Some shrimp species go for the wafers, some don't. The name "algae wafer" or "spirulina wafer" is misleading though, since they contain only about 3% algae or sprirulina. 97% of it is just like any other fish food.

Naturally growing algae and micro-organisms are, in my opinion, the best food these shrimp can get.

Mustafa
Bradimus
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Bradimus »

You can get 'pure' spirulina at most health food store. It is probably not as good as fresh-grown algae, but it will keep their tummies full.