A couple of pics of my ghost shrimp

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

dragonmoon
Egg
Egg

A couple of pics of my ghost shrimp

Post by dragonmoon »

It took some doing with our old camera but I managed to get a couple of pics of one of the shrimp :-D

apistomaster
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by apistomaster »

Nice photos. Good of them to pose.
Did you grow these yourself?
They make an interesting project to raise your own. Just a little more difficult than the RCS but the Ghost shrimp are such versatile aquarium inhabitants it's nice to grow a few hundred up in your tanks. These homegrown are so hardy and I have found them useful and entertaining shrimp. I keep them with all kinds of fish. They do well in my warmwater Discus aquariums on down to unheated. I only am careful not to keep them with any fish I am trying to breed because the Ghost shrimp are agile, active and successful hunters in addition to the basic scavenging duties they perform.
RCSGuy
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by RCSGuy »

Nice pictures and shrimp :) I myself have had Ghost Shrimp (still do but I hardly ever see them) and they are really interesting funny shrimp. They have a lot of personality, I just wish they had more color and were as "friendly" as the RCS. I put them in my turtles tank and I am so surprised at how long they have survived in that tank, hiding under the only thing in the tank they have, 2 large pieces of bogwood. One got berried but it either wasn't fertilized or it got eaten before they hatched ... or they hatched but the babies/larvae were eaten by turtle, Golden Dwarf Gourami, other Ghost shrimp, or filter. lol
dragonmoon
Egg
Egg

Post by dragonmoon »

so far they real tough, the tank theyre in as high filtration a penguin 350 in a 20 gallon the current only blows them about when theyre on the bare bottom.....I got these as a stepping stone to other species either dwarf crays, RCS or tiger shrimp whichever I can find local first at a price I can afford :-D
RCSGuy
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by RCSGuy »

dragonmoon wrote:so far they real tough, the tank theyre in as high filtration a penguin 350 in a 20 gallon the current only blows them about when theyre on the bare bottom.....I got these as a stepping stone to other species either dwarf crays, RCS or tiger shrimp whichever I can find local first at a price I can afford :-D
Yeah they are a good "experimenting" shrimp IMO due to their cheap prices (I buy them 10 for $1). I bought these to put in my RCS tank before the RCS were purchased to see if they lived, acted normally, and just because I couldn't resist when I saw them in the LPS.
ToddnBecka
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by ToddnBecka »

RCS are probably the easiest shrimp to maintain and breed. CRS and tiger shrimp are much more particular regarding water conditions, as well as being more expensive.
dragonmoon
Egg
Egg

Post by dragonmoon »

well the number of shrimp has increased now :) I took the remaining plecs to the LFS and they in exchange gave me around 4 dozen more ghost shrimp including at least 5 already berried females....

I have 2 smaller tanks set up around 5 gallon with spongefilters to move the berried females into...

So I think I am slowly becoming adicted to the hobby lol :-D
Baby_Girl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Baby_Girl »

dragonmoon wrote: So I think I am slowly becoming adicted to the hobby lol :-D
tell me about it! Once you go invert, you never go back :-D

I started in the aquarium hobby for fish, but now have more invert-only tanks than I do fish tanks.
dragonmoon
Egg
Egg

Post by dragonmoon »

lol same here I used to breed bettas and had quite a collection of plecos, I then took a break and got rid of the tanks for a year or so.... Got back in with a bump this year both me and my wife with our own tanks, hers is red belly piranha with a spotted raphael cat.... mine is now a couple of red eye tetras, 3 pristella tetras, 3 harlequin rasbora, and like 4-5 dozen ghost shrimp.... :-D

I do plan on getting some rcs sometime, and some crayfish...after seeing how interesting the inverts are in the tank it kinda makes you wonder why you ever bothered with fish lol 8)
joachimp
Egg
Egg

Spontaneous ghost shirmp!

Post by joachimp »

About a month ago I moved all my LFS feeder ghost shrimp from my planted tank to the turtle tank after I lost a couple of RCS and Amano shrimps. In hindsight this may have been a bit of an over reaction, and I'm thinking of moving the surviving ghosts back as one of them is heavy berried. No worries though, the turtles are rarely fast/interested enough to catch the ghosts.

Back to the plant tank,it is 40gal, 80w of high output light, no CO2, no ferts, pretty densely planted, plants growing well. It is stocked with ~18 RCS, 10 Amano, 2 Caridina gracilirostris, 4 close Amano relitives, and ~15 guppies. The plant tank serves as a natural filter/scrubber for the turtle tank. The water is circulated between the plants and the turtle tanks with a little 250gal/hr pump. It does a pretty good job, at keeping NH4, NO2, NO3 in check with bi/tri-weekly water changes ~25% of the total system water(~100gal). Recent tests give me a NH4~0ppm, NO2~0ppm, NO3~10ppm, pH 7.6. I keep the temperature at around 78DegF.

To my surprise I seem to have had some luck in breeding the ghosts in the plant tank! A few days ago I saw what looked like was a tiny shrimp swimming about. I've been able to take some super macro shots of at least two of these little guys. One of the little ghosts is about twice the size of the other. ~3mm&~7mm long
Images

So since it's been over a month since all the adult ghost's were moved, the larva that resulted in these guys survived for a month in a tank with guppies? It's doubtful that the larva would have been able to make it through the gravel prefilter, pump, if they were born in the turtle tank.

Any ideas?
Thanks!
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Nice pictures, it looks like you have some survivers there. How many baby ghost shrimp are there?
joachimp
Egg
Egg

Post by joachimp »

Nice pictures, it looks like you have some survivers there. How many baby ghost shrimp are there?
Glad you like the pictures!
Well it's kinda hard to tell, large tank, lot's of places to hide. Two for sure, because of the size and coloration difference. The little guy has the typical orange bands on the antennae, and dots on the tail. But I'm sure there are more, it's hard to get a good identification unless I can get the super macro lens on them, and sometimes they run away before I can grab the camera/get a good shot.
More images can be found here of the whole system, and more shrimp too!