Are shrimp fragile shippers?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

theshrimp_123
Shrimp
Shrimp

Are shrimp fragile shippers?

Post by theshrimp_123 »

I ordered alot of shrimp from azgardens and i wanted to know if i should be expecting any suprises. i really had my heart set on these shrimp and it would break my heart :cry: (not to mention my wallet ):lol:. so do you think they will survive? i ordered 2 tiger algae eaters, 2 red cherrys, 3 rhino shrimp, and 2 wood shrimp,+ iodine.
TKD
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by TKD »

You would have been better of to by the Cherries from Mustafa as he sells them cheaper. :-D

And he is also very knowledgeable. :-D

TKD
Bradimus
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Re: Are shrimp fragile shippers?

Post by Bradimus »

theshrimp_123 wrote:I ordered alot of shrimp from azgardens and i wanted to know if i should be expecting any suprises. i really had my heart set on these shrimp and it would break my heart :cry: (not to mention my wallet ):lol:. so do you think they will survive?
Take a look at this thread.

i ordered 2 tiger algae eaters, 2 red cherrys, 3 rhino shrimp, and 2 wood shrimp,
You would likely have more success if you stick to one type of shrimp to start. If you would have ordered 9 cherries and 1 died, there would still be a good chance that you would have enough to breed. If one of your cherries or tigers die, there is no way they can breed. (The red-fronts and wood shrimp require brackish water to breed, and even then it is difficult to raise the larvae.) Further, with only ordering 2 or 3 of a species, there is a significant chance that you will have all females or all males.
+ iodine.
Dosing the tank water with iodine does little if any good. If you dose at the once per month rate recommended by your retailer, I can guarantee that there will be no benefit to your shrimp. Feed your shrimp with a quality flake food, and they will get all of the I they need.