How much food should I feed 200 shrimps in a 10 gallon tank?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

bigheadtai
Egg
Egg

How much food should I feed 200 shrimps in a 10 gallon tank?

Post by bigheadtai »

I have about 200 cherry red shrimps. How much algae wafer or flake food should I feed and how often? Should I feed foods with less protein? I don't have any light on the tank, so algae does not grow in the tank.

Thanks.
TKD
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by TKD »

Are they adults or babies?

I would seriously consider moving some of them to different tanks.

Regular fish food is ok from what I here as are algea wafers.

Turn the light on, the shirmp algea so it will do them good.

TKD

PS How could you fit that many in such a small tank?
amanda_h
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by amanda_h »

I'm with TKD. I can't even imagine how you can have so many shrimp in such a small tank.

And why no light? No light means you must have no plants either. Shrimp do best in a planted tank. And a planted tank will help with such a large bioload.

How long have you had this set-up? If you're just asking now about feeding, it must be fairly new. I have to say I'm concerned about how this is going to turn out. Is this a temporary set-up? What are your plans for this tank? And what kind of filtration do you have?
bigheadtai
Egg
Egg

Post by bigheadtai »

I just moved them from a 29 gallon tank. There's java moss in there. I have a sponge filter running. There are both babies and adults. I usually don't feed them often because I had a lot of algae, but now that I moved them to the 10 gallon, I usually feed a little piece of algae wafer or fish food every day. Is that enough food for them?
TKD
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by TKD »

I would not of had 200 in the 29 either...

Get a couple of clear rubbermade totes and use them as aquariums.
It works very well for fish.

If you get the big one's (29 Gal.) rap a metal wire around the outside to help support it before you ad the water in.

I would get a better type of filter. I use aquaclear, before you put on the tank use an aquaclear sponge and make X incision in and use it to cover the intake.

As for food I would guess with that many feed them as if they were fish. Once a day with regular fish food.

All that said really try to separate them a bit or better yet sell a bunch of them

TKD
amber2461
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by amber2461 »

That is a lot of shrimps though ... but if bigheadtai is in Asia, where the weather is hot all the time and with the occasional rain storms; then the lights might not be so important; but the tank plants would benefit more from the lights though.