This forum is read-only.

Moderator: Mustafa

Jen-Jen
Egg
Egg

Questions about tank cycling

Post by Jen-Jen »

Hi All.

I'm thinking of getting my first crayfish (he'll be a red claw crayfish) in a month or so when I move into my new flat. The tank I am getting is 18L and comes with a filter, an airpump, gravel and plastic plants. Will this be okay for him?

I was also wondering what is the best way to quickly cycle the tank to keep the levels of chemicals right for him? If I put water from a outdoor pond in there for a week would that work?

I also heard somewhere that keeping the crayfish in a small container with a rock for a week for it to climb out on to breathe, and then using that water in the tank would work - is this true?

Any other methods I could use?

Thanks for any help :-)
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

If you have an existing tank that is cycled, cleaning out the filter in the new tank is a great way to kick start the tank. It will be ready right away. If you have friends with aquariums you can offer to cleanout their filter. Be sure the water you use has been dechlorinated.

Crays do not need rocks to climb out on and this can provide a means of escape. Be sure there are no gaps they can climb out of.

The esiest setup for crayfish is a simple under gravel filter with course pea gravel.