'orange glass shrimp'?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Baby_Girl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

'orange glass shrimp'?

Post by Baby_Girl »

What is this shrimp?
The seller calls it simply 'orange glass shrimp'. It is native to China and this is apparently how it looks in the wild. How beautiful!

Does anyone know how it reproduces?
wklotz
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Re: 'orange glass shrimp'?

Post by wklotz »

Hi Baby_Girl!

Baby_Girl wrote:What is this shrimp?
[URL=http://imageshack.us]
How beautiful!
Yes, beautiful - but sick! :wink:

These nice orange inclusions are in fact cystacanths of parasitic worms of the phylum Acanthocephala (Thorny Head Worms).We observed this some years ago and published this in a german journal. A web-version of this you can find at: http://www.wirbellose.de/klotz/nektarinen.html
Sorry - just in German language but I never found some time to translate this.

The shrimp belong to the species Neocaridina palmata and can breed in freshwater without any problems. But due there is no "second host" (duck or large fish) in a typical shrimp tank, the life cycle of the parasitic worms could not be completed - and the offsprings will show no orange inclusions.
N. palmata non parasited is called and sold as "Marbled Shrimp" here in Europe.

Cheers
Werner
zapisto
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by zapisto »

easy to reproduce
very cool and neat shrimp even without the "attractive orange dot" :wink:
Baby_Girl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Baby_Girl »

hmm, so the orange insides are actually a parasite? That sucks. I was hoping it was just a really unique shrimp.

Yes, it certainly is still attractive without the orange stuff. But if those shrimp are all harboring a kind of parasite, I'll stick to snowball shrimp :wink:

Werner, thank you for the great link! I wish I could read German because it looks really interesting. I kind of have a sick fascination with parasites, but not so much that I want to try to raise them so I have distinct-looking shrimp.

Thank you for ID'ing the shrimp for me. I thought it looked like Neocaridina. This page says their eggs are black???That I want to see!

edit: I found this thread here viewtopic.php?p=22839
It shows a berried N. palmata and the eggs are not black. Maybe that's just when they're about to hatch.

Also, I found the edit: deleted poorly translated page
English version of Werner's article[/b]
Last edited by Baby_Girl on Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zapisto
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by zapisto »

Baby_Girl wrote: Thank you for ID'ing the shrimp for me. I thought it looked like Neocaridina. This page says their eggs are black???That I want to see!
Take care of aquabase, even if it is a cool (French database) knownledgement bas , it is often very wrong specially on shrimp.
Baby_Girl wrote: Also, I found the English version of Werner's article
not the same articles but............ hehehe
shrimpbaby
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by shrimpbaby »

They are interesting. I believe that one of the common names is "Nectarine shrimp" due to the parasite. One of the linked articles may mention that, but I haven't had time to look at them yet.
Baby_Girl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Baby_Girl »

zapisto wrote:Take care of aquabase, even if it is a cool (French database) knownledgement bas , it is often very wrong specially on shrimp.
ahh, very good to know. Thanks!
not the same articles but............ hehehe
oops, I linked the wrong one.
edit: deleted poor translation
The translation isn't great, so I didn't get much from it unfortunately :?

Seems they have already discussed this type of shrimp at Planet Inverts
http://www.planetinverts.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=325

Shrimpbaby's right. I suspect 'nectarine' came from the fact that the orange blobs are round and look similar to a peach, orange, or nectarine. Ew, it makes me shudder now thinking about it...
Last edited by Baby_Girl on Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Baby_Girl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Baby_Girl »

sorry, one more quick question

Is the shrimp at the top left of the wirbellose.de banner also a N. palmata?
http://www.wirbellose.de/bannerkopf.jpg

Darn, I wish I could read German and other European languages.
zapisto
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by zapisto »

Baby_Girl wrote:sorry, one more quick question

Is the shrimp at the top left of the wirbellose.de banner also a N. palmata?

Darn, I wish I could read German and other European languages.
no it is snowball.
Baby_Girl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Baby_Girl »

zapisto wrote:
Baby_Girl wrote:Is the shrimp at the top left of the wirbellose.de banner also a N. palmata?
no it is snowball.
thanks! Those will be my next on my Shrimp Wish List. They have a more uniform appearance than the N. palmata, it seems, so I would know what to expect :)
wklotz
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by wklotz »

Hi!
zapisto wrote: no it is snowball.
Be careful about this!

I determined the snowball shrimp as Neocaridina cf. zhangjiajiesnis some times ago due the shape of the male first pleopod. But after looking on a large series of specimen the shape of this appendage is rather variable. By this the separation from the most similar species N. palmata is somewhat questionable. Furthermore some of the Neocaridina species in the aquarium trade seems to be able to interbreed. Therefore the sonwball shrimp could probably derive from a mybridisation of natural species.

Cheers
Werner
zapisto
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by zapisto »

wklotz wrote:Hi!
zapisto wrote: no it is snowball.
Be careful about this!

I determined the snowball shrimp as Neocaridina cf. zhangjiajiesnis some times ago due the shape of the male first pleopod. But after looking on a large series of specimen the shape of this appendage is rather variable. By this the separation from the most similar species N. palmata is somewhat questionable. Furthermore some of the Neocaridina species in the aquarium trade seems to be able to interbreed. Therefore the sonwball shrimp could probably derive from a mybridisation of natural species.

Cheers
Werner
werner , i am agree with you about that and that in my opinion the biggest danger for the shrimp hobby :(
Baby_Girl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Baby_Girl »

yes, unfortunately I agree with zapisto and Werner that that is a HUGE problem in the shrimp hobby. I have noticed from looking through as many N. palmata pictures as I can find that those guys do indeed express a lot of variability in color and even body shape. So I think Werner's absolutely right that there are probably lots of Neocardina hybrids out there marked as either 'N. palmata' or 'snowball shrimp' :(
zapisto
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by zapisto »

if you want true snowball you know where you can found them :wink: ;-)
just on the left menu here you have "petshrimp store"

you will not be disapointed.... only have to nbe patient :)
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

zapisto wrote:if you want true snowball you know where you can found them :wink: ;-)
just on the left menu here you have "petshrimp store"

you will not be disapointed.... only have to nbe patient :)
Except that the "true" snowball shrimp mutation itself (i.e. no other Neocaridina mixed in along the way) may have come from a hybrid "wild form" as Werner stated. I've been saying for a while now that Neocaridina spp. can and will breed freely among each other. The problem is not that they can, but that people have no idea what kind of shrimp they have and then put several Neocaridina spp. together in one tank. This problem is especially severe with the red cherry shrimp. By now, not every "red cherry shrimp" offered for sale is actually Neocaridina denticulata sinensis (heteropoda) but there are likely many interspecies hybrids out there due to people selling/spreading their hybrid shrimp.

Werner, I am going to get rid of the N. cf. zhangjiajiensis name for the Snowball shrimp and just call it Neocaridina sp.. I think that's the best thing to do for most Neocaridina spp. out there that have not been clearly identified.