Halocaridina rubra

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

sstimac
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Halocaridina rubra

Post by sstimac »

Hi,
I'm the newest new guy and I have a question. I may have found a source to get a couple dozen of these shrimp at a good price (yes they are captive bred). I understand that they are super adaptable. Do they do well in freshwater? I have heard yes and no. I would prefer responses from those who have had experience keeping this species. I have read that they only breed in high end brackish water. However, in their natural environment they deal with specific gravities that range from just over 1 to 1.26 or more.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

I don't mean to give you a cold welcome, but you need to go back and re-read the rules. This is a forum like no other and I would hate to see you get banned for not following the rules. If you had gone over the shrimp varieties pages you'd get your answer:
http://www.petshrimp.com/hawaiianredshrimp.html

Anyway, welcome! Go read the articles, then before posting a question check the varieties pages for your shrimp and do a search.
sstimac
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by sstimac »

Thanks for the advice. I did, in fact, read the description on the Shrimp Varieties page. I asked the question because I was looking for advice from several people. I've been in the hobby for over decade, I know that one person's experience can vary greatly from another's. If desiring information from several individuals, as opposed to one, is against the rules on this forum, perhaps I should be banned.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

If Mustafa publishes it on the varieties page, you don't need a second opinion, believe me. I've been trying to catch him for a couple of years now and have always come up short.

Please don't cop an attiitude, I was just giving you a heads up. Hang around and play by the rules and you'll pick up stuff you won't find anywhere else.

Anyway, you want multiple opinions, use the search. You know what they say about opinions....
Cactus Bastard
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Cactus Bastard »

H Rubra have been bred in a moderately wide variety of conditions; though I've never heard of anybody being successful with them in straight fresh water. There is a big difference between "survive" and "thrive" and I'm sure you want to provide the best environment for your pets that you can. Don't take offense to people pointing out the rules, they're just trying to keep this forum a tidy place.
sstimac wrote:If desiring information from several individuals, as opposed to one, is against the rules on this forum, perhaps I should be banned.
The rules are set up the way they are because you are not the only person on this forum. If you desire more information, it is there in abundance, and you are very welcome to read it. There comes a point when simple questions that could have been answered easily by a little research are nothing but clutter. The moderator is just trying to keep everything concise, to avoid that type of clutter as it completely over-runs a lot of the other forums.
sstimac
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by sstimac »

My apologies. I started things out on the wrong foot. I have since gone through past posts and have found the information I was looking for. Sorry for wasting space and presenting myself as an arrogant bastard.
Baby_Girl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Baby_Girl »

sstimac wrote:Sorry for wasting space and presenting myself as an arrogant bastard.
you didn't come off like that, at least not to me. Believe me, some people come here with WAY more of an attitude than you did. When people immediately start spouting about how they know so much, and make it evident that they will not take anyone's advice - THEN it's time to bust out the Ban Stick. We don't need that here. You on the other hand took the suggestions, did your homework, and found what you needed. So I commend you.

Every forum takes a little getting used to. It seems to me like you're starting to fit in already. :-)
sstimac
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by sstimac »

:-D thanks babygirl.
Baby_Girl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Baby_Girl »

well, I just call it as I see it. ;-)
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

I started things out on the wrong foot. I have since gone through past posts and have found the information I was looking for.
Happy you found what you needed. This is how it should work :D