Can clown loaches & Amano shrimps co-exist?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

tangyp
Egg
Egg

Can clown loaches & Amano shrimps co-exist?

Post by tangyp »

I have two clown loaches to keep the snails away in my planted tank. But was told that they will actually attack the shrimps as well.

Should I remove the clown loaches before I start putting Amano shrimps in the tank?

Thanks!
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

I really have no experience with clown loaches, since I have never kept any. They do get quite huge. Their mouth does not seem like it's meant for predatory purposes (except for slow moving things like snails), but you never know. Maybe someone else has had experiences with clown loaches and shrimp. Why don't you get some cories (Corydoras)? Cories won't even hurt young shrimp.

Mustafa
Piscesgirl
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Piscesgirl »

You will probably get some that say they do and some that say that don't -- however, I wouldn't risk it myself.
Bradimus
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Bradimus »

I've seen a larger (~8 inches) clown loach take ghost shrimp. A smaller clown loach might not bother your shrimp, but why risk it?
rustarific
Egg
Egg

Post by rustarific »

I have 7 Clown Loaches and these guys love to roughhouse with one another. When they were smaller I've tossed in feeder ghost shrimps for my GT and they pretty much left them alone. I'd worry more when they get bigger that they may injure the shrimps while they "played" with one another. They most likely will harrass/play with the shrimps.