Ramblings from a Vernal Pool Geek

This forum is read-only.
HamatoKameko
Egg
Egg

Ramblings from a Vernal Pool Geek

Post by HamatoKameko »

I've posted a couple of times in other threads, but now's a time for a proper introduction, I suppose. I'll start with what I have. I've admittedly gotten an obsession for the tiny ones...

+ Artemia salina "nyos" (Sea Monkeys)
+ Artemia franciscana (the feeder brine shrimp typically sold in North American pet shops)
+ Parartemia minutae--I think. They're marketed as "Little Aussie Sea Dragons," and the seller has also referred to them as "Parartemia australiensis"--of which there is no such thing. So, I'm still working on figuring out just what I have here.
+ Branchinella thailandensis - a freshwater fairy shrimp species from Thailand--but they're still in the mail. ;)

I've also had triops, though they've since died off and I've not started again with them. The next time I raise them, I'm using a tank with a filter, so I can continue to see them as they grow. :lol:

I'm currently unable to work due to health problems, so my tiny pets have been a fantastic diversion. I keep them next to my computer, on my desk, where I can watch them whenever I wish. Although this may have to change if I continue to get new species, as well as the glofish I want. It's getting crowded!

Moving on, there are several specific species I'm hoping to obtain and raise in the future. Fairy shrimp typically look alike, so much so that in some cases it takes a proper scientist to make out the difference, but there are a few species with very clear characteristics, and as such have really caught my attention:

+ Linderiella occidentalis - California fairy shrimp, which have distinctive red eyes. Although, they've been considered for protection in the past (it was deemed they were not in danger despite losing much of their habitat), and I'm unsure where they stand currently.
+ Thamnocephalus platyurus - Beavertail fairy shrimp. Apparently these are fairly common in the detritus that comes in triops kits, though I think I stand a fair chance of finding them in the wild, as well.
+ Branchinecta gigas - Giant fairy shrimp, the predatory species that gets to be a good three inches in size. I don't think anyone's had success hatching them in captivity yet, but I'd enjoy the chance to try.

I picked up a couple of triops kits today, and I've currently got a detritus "tea bag" in water. Wish me luck! (My last batch had numerous fairies and daphnia, but they became dinner for hydra before I realized what was happening. :< )

I don't really have any questions at the moment, but I'm bound to have some in the future, so I guess I'll ask them right here. In the meantime, of course, if anyone has any tips to offer, I'm listening. :-D
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Ramblings from a Vernal Pool Geek

Post by Mustafa »

It would be interesting to read what differences you experience between the different species of Artemia. I'm not talking about microscopic differences in body plan, but easily observable differences such as overall size, life-span, ease of maintenance etc...etc. Also, please keep us up to date with the freshwater fairy shrimp from Thailand. They sound quite interesting.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

I've had a colony of self sustaining artemia for over a year. No filter, no water changes. Just a bubbler, lots of light and marine green water. The artemia do not deplete the algae. Once a month I add 2.5 cc's of each of the 2 part pro-culture ferts. Daylight FL bulbs running 16 on/8 off. I harvest for fish as needed.

apistomaster
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by apistomaster »

Badflash,
"You can't breed Artemia continuously." That is what I have been told, but like you, it worked just fine for me. My experiment began with freshly hatched nauplii added to a prepared ten gal tank with a cycled sponge filter. I only wants to raise some as treats for fish without any messy egg shells. The shrimp went ahead and laid eggs so I did have to deal with a few.
Funny how those who have never tried some project like this are so "knowledgeable."
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Way to go :-D I guess you don't know the limits or possiblities until you go past the boundaries and standards.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

I don't know who said that you could not keep a self sustaining colony going, but I'll bet they sold brine shrimp eggs. :roll:

They only lay eggs when the water conditions indicate they are going to die. Poor water quality and high salt levels can trigger that.

I don't use any sort of filtration. The shrimp are the filter. You need to pull out a good amount each week or they will die off. Fets and sun in, shrimp out, algae just keeps growing.
iturnrocks
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by iturnrocks »

I noticed you don't have any clam shrimp on your list. Perhaps it is because I haven't posted in a while. This variety lives about 6 months and is also a filter feeder. The largest one I have seen so far is about 1/2 inch long. They are extremely entertaining once they start mating.

Male

Female with eggs

Another Female

Here is a 10 minute video of my clam shrimp in action.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAcEU1QHurk
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Besides the eggs, can you tell the sex by the pink color of the females? Very nice pictures by the way, thanks for sharing :D
iturnrocks
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by iturnrocks »

Neonshrimp wrote:Besides the eggs, can you tell the sex by the pink color of the females? Very nice pictures by the way, thanks for sharing :D
Im not completely sure. At first I thought thats how it worked, but then I saw pink colored ones doing male activities, so Im couldnt say for sure.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

I had some clam shrimp for a while with some eggs I got via the UK from a supplier in Ohio. These never produced eggs, but were very neat animals. I'd love to get more. I contacted the felow in Ohio directly but he had lost interest.
itock
Egg
Egg

Post by itock »

Wow this is from ages ago, but anyway - which species is it? Maybe you have found out by now about the colouring. Could the pink ones be hermaphrodites?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Yeah, it's a very old thread. I doubt you will be getting answers to your questions since I have not seen any of the above members in years. But you never know! :)
iturnrocks
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by iturnrocks »

The species pictured previously is Cyzicus setosa. This year I found a new species Leptestheria compleximanus. Here is what they look like. A little bit smaller, but longer, and instead of swimming with legs in front like the Cyzicus typically do, these swim with legs facing down. I still don't know for sure if coloring has anything to do with sex.
iturnrocks
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by iturnrocks »

I see the original poster mentioned Branchinecta gigas, the Giant Fairy Shrimp. Here's a photo my buddy Don took of one he caught in Colorado a few years back. Image
iturnrocks
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by iturnrocks »

Here's the largest fairy shrimp I get in Kansas, Thamnocephalus platyurus, they usually get about 1 1/2 inches long.
This is the most common fairy shrimp in terms of numbers I encounter in NE Kansas, Streptocephalus sealii, they are usually 1/2 inch to 3/4 inches long. I frequently find these in the same pools with T. platyurus.
and here's a cold water species I collected a few years ago, Eubranchipus neglectus, they don't survive above 70 degrees F. Netted these in a roadside ditch in February. Image
and I believe this is a Branchinecta species I collected in western Kansas back when I had a really bad camera.