Indian Pearl Shrimp

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Bingojimbo

Indian Pearl Shrimp

Post by Bingojimbo »

I purchased an Indian Pearl Shrimp about a week ago, but i rarely see it in my tank anymore and im afraid that I dont have the right water conditions. DO you have any information on this variety of shrimp? I couldnt find any on the web. Any info would help.

Thanks!
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Although it's hard to tell by the common English name what kind of shrimp you have (sincey any retailer can choose all kinds of names they want) I am guessing you have a very small , less than 2 inches, and peaceful macrobrachium species, probably Macrobrachium cf. banjarae.

Here is a picture of that shrimp:

You can feed this shrimp flake food and little pellets, as long as the food does not get snapped up by fish etc.

Your shrimp is probably just hiding really well. How big is your tank? What kind of other inhabitants does the tank have? Have you measured ammonia and nitrate?

By the way, although you were able to post here yesterday as an unregistered user by mistake, the forum now really allows only registered users to post. So do me a favor and register above to anser the questions.

Regards,
Mustafa
BingoJimbo
Egg
Egg

Post by BingoJimbo »

Thanks for the reply! yup Thats the one! Im hoping that its still alive. Im not sure if its getting anything to eat cuz i never get a chance to see it. My tank is 26 Gallons long. Its a heavily planted tank.

Yes, I've measured the ammonia and nitrate. And they all are 0. The pH is 6.8. Temp right now is 80F. I hope that these are the right conditions.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Your water conditions sound just fine. I think your shrimp is doing ok. As long as there is nothing in the tank to eat it, it will be fine. Make sure that you drop a sinking pellet in there once in a while. The shrimp will smell it and find it for sure. Drop the pellet in at night if there are other animals in the tank that might compete with the shrimp for food.

I think your shrimp will do fine. It's just a lot more fun to have more shrimp in a 29 gallon. That way you will actually see them a lot more often.

Where did you get this shrimp anyway?

Take care,
Mustafa
BingoJimbo
Egg
Egg

Post by BingoJimbo »

Thanks for the reply. I got this shrimp from my LFS. They were selling it for 4.99 each. Is that pretty reasonable?

I finally found out where the shrimp was at... sad to say it was on the floor next to the aquarium stand. :cry: I wasnt sure how long its been there cuz i found it by accident looking for something else. How do you prevent your shrimps from crawling out of your tank? I have an acrylic tank and there is a small opening where the filter outake goes. I guess I should consider covering that one as well.

R
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

I'm sorry to hear that your shrimp died. Shrimp don't usually crawl out of the tank, but they do jump out, which is what probably happened to your shrimp.

That's why you have to cover as much as possible.

I'm sure next time it won't happen.

Take care,
Mustafa