Update on Cherry Shrimp with stripe...

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

mduros
Egg
Egg

Update on Cherry Shrimp with stripe...

Post by mduros »

Just letting you folks know that the little lady died a couple of days ago. I'm not sure why, but assume that there was something wrong with her, thus the color mutation. She never spawned to my knowledge. She was well and swimming about, eating and playing in the floating plants at night, and I found her laying dead the next morning. This is also the first time I have seen or found a dead cherry shrimp in my tanks. I'm sure there has been some, but ironically I've never run across them before.

I decided to put this in a separate post because I hated how badly I worded the title of my original post... :mrgreen:
Take care,
Mary.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Re: Update on Cherry Shrimp with stripe...

Post by Neonshrimp »

Hi Mary,
sorry to hear about the loss :( I was following this one from the beginning and was hoping for some good news. I remember mention of a few more with the stripe characteristics, how are they doing?
mduros
Egg
Egg

Post by mduros »

I have seen some splotched shrimp. But nothing with a defined stripe like she had. Unfortunately, I am thinning out my cherry population, and with her gone now I may rehome the rest and take that tank down completely. The landlord (who is wonderful by the way) realized the volume of water I have sitting in that third floor apartment and is a little concerned about if the "unthinkable" happens... Anyhow, everyone that has gotten shrimp from me knows of the striped shrimp and has told me that they haven't seen it pop up. However, my colony's been going for over 2 years now and I didn't start rehoming any until last year I think, so I've just asked them to keep an eye out.
Take care,
Mary.
jeej
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by jeej »

I once had a female with a big pale pink stripe down her back and she died too. That was at a time when I was very new to the hobby and inadvertently poisoned my shrimp with copper.
infopimp
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by infopimp »

I have a couple with the stripe...
Attachments
cherry_shrimp_striped_DSCF4371.jpg
cherry_shrimp_striped_DSCF4371.jpg (196.32 KiB) Viewed 2166 times
cherry_shrimp_striped_DSCF4369.jpg
cherry_shrimp_striped_DSCF4369.jpg (170.99 KiB) Viewed 2165 times
cherry_shrimp_striped_DSCF43b.sized.jpg
cherry_shrimp_striped_DSCF43b.sized.jpg (75.55 KiB) Viewed 2163 times
cherry_shrimp_striped_DSCF77.jpg
cherry_shrimp_striped_DSCF77.jpg (84.01 KiB) Viewed 2167 times
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

A stripe on red cherry shrimp is absolutely normal and occurs in any population of RCS at varying frequencies.