Copper Toxicity

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

grimvixen
Egg
Egg

Copper Toxicity

Post by grimvixen »

So, what exactly does copper do to shrimp? What are the physiological affects?

Grim
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Re: Copper Toxicity

Post by Neonshrimp »

Copper is poisonous to invertibrates. There have been reports of acute toxicity where shrimp begin to twitch (convulse) and die and chronic signs of toxicity where the shrimp slowly stop there usual scavenging behaviour and die!
grimvixen
Egg
Egg

Post by grimvixen »

I was wondering about what is physically does to them-- is it a nerve toxin? Convulsions would point to that. I just want to know what it does to their little bodies.

Grim
jeej
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by jeej »

Mate, it is a horrible sight.

They sort of cruise idly through the water, then all of a sudden *ZAP* they jerk across the tank like they have been hit with a tazer. Rinse and repeat.

Every time I witnessed it happen my stomach churned.

Traces of copper can be found in taps and also within rocks - particularly any green rocks.

Remove offending items and do water changes twice a week. It will take quite a while to remove ALL traces, but it will go eventually.

I promise I'm not on commission, but Geo Liquid for inverts is known to help aid the recovery of a copper problem. Helps to remove it from the water after a water change.