First Crayfish - Need Some Advice

This forum is read-only.

Moderator: Mustafa

PhilK
Egg
Egg

First Crayfish - Need Some Advice

Post by PhilK »

G'day guys, I haven't been on this forum in a while but ages ago I posted a few posts about my freshwater crabs.. Anyway, I've been away for two weeks in the outback doing some jackaroo stuff and I only got back two days ago. So yesterday I went to the pet shop to buy a few boxes of crickets for my various other invertebrates.. All of a sudden I was in my car with cricket boxes, a new fishtank, gravel, a heater and a really awesome blue crayfish (I think it's Cherax destructor but I'm not sure.)

He lives in the fishtank with white gravel as a substrate, water heated to 22 degrees C, a filter and a hide. There are a few feeder fish in there just in case and yesterday he ate a piece of carrot.

Here are some snaps I took (not the best, sorry).

A few questions:

Is this set up OK?
What's the best thing to feed it?
How big will it get?I noticed he is missing a leg, and the end of his antennae. If/when he moults will these regenerate?

Cheers
Guba
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: First Crayfish - Need Some Advice

Post by Guba »

My experience with crays. They can and will crawl out of an aquarium if the top isn't gap proof. They are omnivores, veggies and carnivorous items. I fed them sinking fish food, and they loved it. They also like more current than shrimp care for. I would also offer several different hiding spots in a tank. They like to bulldoze the substrate out from under whatever architectural feature seems to catch their fancy. They are opportunists when comes to feeding, and while feeder fish are present, that doesn't necessarily mean that they are going to catch and eat everything that's swimming in the tank. When he /she molts, it will regenerate any lost appendages, but they usually come back smaller than normal and it may take a couple of molts to get back to normal size. I'm not sure on the size, as I've never kept that speicies.
PhilK
Egg
Egg

Post by PhilK »

I had 5 Neon tetras in his tank and only have 1 left.. I didn't think he'd be quick enough to catch them!! How often should he be fed?
pixl8r
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by pixl8r »

Crayfish often get fish while they sleep. I feed my Cherax three times a week. You'll have to figure out how much he/she needs. If the food you drop in is quickly eaten, add a bit more the next feeding.

My 9" Cherax quadricarinatus eats two full algae wafers and a few shrimp pellets per feeding. He will eat more, but not consistently. I figure it's better that he goes a little hungry, than have food rotting in the tank.
geordie john
Egg
Egg

Post by geordie john »

Hi PhilK,
Watch out as those C. destructor can grow to over 2ft . They become pretty docile though and shouldnt be able to catch tetras. They'll go micey for a piece of sliced ham !!
all the best,
G. John
Guba
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Guba »

[quote]Watch out as those C. destructor can grow to over 2ft .[/quote

I had no idea crayfish species could reach this size!! :!:
How old are they when get that big?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

They don't get to be 2 feet. They are usually in the 6-8 inch range as adults, some may get bigger or stay smaller depending on the individual. Even if you add the claws they are nowhere near two feet. The only crayfish that can reach 2 feet and more is the tasmanian giant crayfish (Astacopsis gouldi), which is an endangered crayfish and never seen in the hobby.
amber2461
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by amber2461 »

It is GORGEOUS .... congrats on your latest purchase !!! :D