Shrimp ID Help

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

southerndesert
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Shrimp ID Help

Post by southerndesert »

A couple months back I purchased what look to be the same shrimp that Mustafa describes as Dark Green Shrimp (Caridina sp.) in the varieties page of this site. You may remember the photos I posted asking about them. Along with the adults I also received some juvenile shrimp and they have now grown to young adults. Now some of these shrimp do not appear to be the same species, but I am still quite new to shrimp keeping and IDing shrimp is out of my league so to speak. Here are some photos showing some of the shrimp in question and I am aware that DGS display some different colors, but these shrimp seem much different. Thanks in advance for any input!

I have several of them appearing to be both male and female and you can see a male with a similar wide stripe on it's back in the bottom photo (other males in photos are DGS). If different species I do not want them to mix and I am just not sure.

Bill
wklotz
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Re: Shrimp ID Help

Post by wklotz »

Hi Bill!

Your shrimp probably bekong to a species closely related to the "Dark green shrimp" also occuring in East India:

reddish brown colour morph

drark brown colour morph

Morphological theese are close to C. babaulti sensu Bouvier, the egg sizi is large and the larval development of totall abbreviated type.

Cheers
Werner
southerndesert
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by southerndesert »

Thank you Werner for the information on these shrimp!

I will need to move them then to their own tank then. Are others currently keeping these in the hobby that you are aware of? I am guessing water parameters are close to the same as well.

Cheers, Bill
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Look at my reply here from July 31st:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3064&start=0&st=0&s ... bra+indian

The species in the first 3 pictures is different from the species in the last picture. I've had a colony of the first species for a year and 8 months. They interbreed with the indian zebra shrimp and I suspect that they are the same species/subspecies/closely related species. The offspring mostly don't have the really wide stripe down their backs, but have variable striping and coloration.

I've been intermittently breeding the second species but have not managed to establish a colony of them yet. They are very variable in coloration and can also turn green.

Although these shrimp, including the "dark green shrimp", may morphologically be very similar, I know that in my experience the "dark green shrimp" does not interbreed with the first species above. Can't say anything yet about the second species. All these species that are close to C. babaulti are probably genetically not all that close...at least not close enough to freely interbreed.
jcem2989
Egg
Egg

Post by jcem2989 »

hi, the green shrimps are a beauty....

cheers