Minami or wild Neocaridina?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

wskurdahl
Larva
Larva

Minami or wild Neocaridina?

Post by wskurdahl »

So over a year ago I bought some "yellow shrimp." Later the seller told me they were "Manami" shrimp. I am guessing they are a wild species, maybe neocaridina? I finally got some decent pictures of them after practicing my photography skills and was hoping someone (Mustafa maybe :-D )may know what exactly they really are.

Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Minami or wild Neocaridina?

Post by Mustafa »

Again...there are tons of people who claim all kinds of things without making sure that their claims are actually true. There are also people who *know* their claims aren't true (for example I personally told them so) and they still try to disseminate misinformation to sell their shrimp. Unless you are absolutely sure that a given shrimp or its ancestors were caught in the wild, you should not assume that you have a wild-variety of a given shrimp. There are tons of "wild-type" Neocaridina in circulation right now that are mutts of red cherry shrimp. yellow shrimp, all kinds of unidentified species of various Neocaridina with RCS, yellow shrimp etc...and even interspecies mutts of snowball shrimp with red cherry shrimp (result: brownish shrimp...wild-looking). Instead selling them as "mutts" or hybrids people prefer to just sell them as "wild Neocaridina."

Having said that...with Neocaridina spp. it's extremely hard to tell just by pictures what species (or mutt) you have. That applies to your shrimp above, too. They're definitely a type of Neocaridina, but who knows what exactly.
JohnPaul
Larva
Larva

Re: Minami or wild Neocaridina?

Post by JohnPaul »

Whatever they are, they are really nice looking shrimp.