Water filteration systems

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

nick11380
Larva
Larva

Water filteration systems

Post by nick11380 »

My tap water has a lot of chemicals and junk added to it to make it "safe" to drink. Although Cherry shrimp can live in it (treated with prime) they didn't produce well.

I had been thinking about getting an R/O unit but I don't think that I need water "that pure". I've read that they also produce waste water and only filter like 20 to 100 gallons a day. So it would have to be hooked up where it could be on the water source all day and where the waste water could drain?
If that's the case I would have to hook it up in the basement and carry buckets up to the second floor where my aquaruims are.

I was paging through a catalog that I got from an online pet supply store and found a couple filters that might be a good alturnative to R/O.

Does anybody know anything about these filters and if they would be good to use for shrimp? There a little more expensive than R/O systems but I'm not concerned about that.

Kold Ster-il 3-Stage Filtration System

This unique water filtration system wastes no water while offering the following. .5 micron bonded carbon block with molecular sieve Molecular Absorption Discs designed to absorb heavy metals, volatile organic chemicals (VOC's), dissolved organic matter and phosphates at a 4 gallon per minute flow rate. .2 micron Fim-L-Filter bag to restrict algae, Giardia Cysts, Cryptosporidium, fungus and E. Coli bacteria. System comes completely assembled with schedule 80 PVC fittings, mounting bracket, filter wrench, Teflon grease and full schematic. Unit measures 15"T x 18"W x 7"D including bracket. Change media every 5000 gallons.

Deion 200R Regenerable Ion Exchange Filter

This three-stage tap water filtration system produces pure water without producing any waste water. The first stage is a carbon prefilter to remove chlorine and other organic matter. The second stage is a Cation resin capable of removing positively charges ions (calcium, magnesium, and other metals) from the water. The third stage is an Anion resin that will remove all negatively charged ions (phosphates, silicates, carbonates, bicarbonates, chloride, and nitrates). The result is removal of 99% of all ions in tap water giving pure water for use in any type of aquarium application. Each resin has color indicators to signal exhaustion. Since the resins are in seperate chambers, they can be regenerated and reused over and over. Capable of producing 200 gallons per day, with regeneration of the resin, it costs just pennies per gallon to produce pure water. Easily connects to a faucet and includes Jaco tubing to direct the water flow.
fishgeek
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Re: Water filteration systems

Post by fishgeek »

Dont know the specific brands
and am confident saying they should be cheaper... they are effectively just the pods/filters that are in the r/o system prior to the r/o membrane

there will be sediment filter and something along the lines of modified granular activated charcoal... these 2 filters will dependant on micron size remove many particles and larger parasite cysts, aswell as chlorine and heavy metals

in the uk they are often refered to as HMA filters if that helps with widening the search

the De-Ionising resin is not needed unless you want particularly soft water and would be the one that requires the most changing

If you look online at water filtering places, maybe even where you had been researching your R/O unit you will see you can purchase the filter housing and filters all individually so you could quite simply tailor your own spec and then choose a frame to accept 2, 3, 4 however many pods you feel you want
By reading through the filter sales sites you will get a feel for what each canister can do and how that might aid you achive water that you will be happy with

Andrew